United States
Commonwealth Triathlon Series
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 44s
Overall Rank = 214/380
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/33
Pre-race routine:

waited for friends to register, set up run transition. rode down to the swim-bike transition. got a flat tire. had to change it. no spare tube now. threw on wetsuit. was ready about 2 min. before race start.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 09m 41s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

very murky water. very crowded swim course. too many swimmers bunched up. not a lot of open water till the swim back. couldn't get a good rythym going. had to stop every once in a while to get out of the way of other swimmers. need to work on sighting more. breathing was a little tough. probably due to stress about the flat and not warming up prior to the event
What would you do differently?:

get to transition early. even without the flat, race director was pulling athletes out of the water when I arrived at transition .
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

bike was near swim out. took time getting suit off to slow my HR down. Also checked tire to make sure it was inflated and still secure on bike. Put shoes on for the run out of T1. Bike out was a LONG way away from my bike. I alternated run/walking out of transition

Aside from the wetsuit, not much
Bike
  • 53m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering that I live near the event. I should have biked the course more than once. Chain fell off twice. I need to have that looked at. Didn't hydrate enough on the bike. Finished the water in my aero drink. Had two sips of my GU and a little bit of water from my water bottle. Course was too crowded. Not enough riders stayed single file. A few were moving all over the road. Tough to negotiate other cyclists

Hydrate more. Have my bike looked at prior to event.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

T2 was better. Felt like I had enough energy for the run. Had some difficulty getting socks and sneakers on without letting my feet touch the ground.

Need a mat to put down on the ground for this transition. It was difficult with two transition areas
Run
  • 32m 15s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Not enough drinks on the course. Only aid station was at the start of second loop. VERY HUMID. I might have done a little better with water along the way.

Not much to change. Find out before hand if there are aid stations on the run, and if not bring a flask with some water to sip.
Post race
Warm down:

drank LOTS of water. Walked around stretched my legs a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't have my usual breakfast cereal. Had 2 bowls at around 6. I think that caused me some GI stress all day. I couldn't drink any Gu2o as a result I think

Event comments:

Very difficult course. Not enough aid stations on the run. No aid stations on the bike. My wife liked the multiple loops. If she missed me once, she was able to see me again. It was very nice having a race so close to my house.

Last updated: 2009-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:41 | 547 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 122/380
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: an out and back with a leg parallel to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:49
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:56 | 15 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Overall: 218/380
Wind: Some
Course: Extremely hilly. Lots of uphills, some downhills, but not enough to get speed.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:15 | 03.2 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 232/380
Performance: Below average
Course: It was a two loop run course. I started off ok, but a short uphill took my legs and my stomach out of the race. I slowed my pace and HR down, had to walk up first hill, ran to start of 2nd loop and had to walk up that. VERY steep. Walked up first hill again, and finished fairly strong. Got some speed back on the run to the transition
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes