United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 154/432
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 26/61
Pre-race routine:

First Half Iron! Extremely excited for the race - 6 months of training for this day. Hotel in St. Croix Falls. Breakfast was a bagel with honey, banana, 24 oz gatorade, about 6 oz accelerade. One cup of coffee. All at 4 am - made it to race site at 5:30 am to set up. Very tight transition racks!
Event warmup:

15 min jog with a couple of friends. Stretch for about 15 minutes and several excursions to the woods to avoid the huge porta-potty lines. Swam for about 5-6 minutes right before the start. I've found that a light swim before the race makes a huge difference. Really seems to loosen up the shoulders.
Swim
  • 28m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really tried to go out at a slow pace - concentrate on long, efficient strokes. Able to draft for a while - does make a difference! Only problem was that there was no real distance between those swimming out and those swimming back in. Nearly swam head into someone going the other way as I got a little off course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - very happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I think I was a little slow here. Was trying not to jack up my HR too much.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 59s
  • 55 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

A good ride for me. Ate 6 Accelgels and drank one bottle of Accelerade, 1/2 bottle of GE and 1/2 bottle of water. Nutrition seemed right. HR average was probably 149-151. I think maybe slightly too high as I found out in the run.

Try and drop the HR by 5 bpm.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

No problems here.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 53m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out extremely well. As predicited, I took off too fast - at 8:30 pace. Should have slowed down a bit more. At this pace, my HR was in the high 150's for the first 2 miles. By mile 5, it was climbing into the 160s at the same pace. Thought that I could ignore the HR and just base the rest of the run on RPE. Took one Accelgel at mile 2.5 and another at mile 7, both with water. Took gatorade around mile 5, but not able to take in any add'l calories after that. By mile 9, started getting the damned stomach ache - probably undigested food that wouldn't move from the stomach due to the high HR. By mile 7, my HR was stuck in the 170s, even when trying to slow down. This caught up to me by mile 9. By mile 11, I was really struggling b/c of the stomach ache. I only walked the aid stations, but my run was down to a crawl at this point.

Force the pace to keep HR beloe 160. I just can't digest enough and a higher pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggering around the finish line - sipping on GE and water. Walked a bit in the lake to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HR too high during the run - not sure if b/c I biked too aggressively or if my run started too fast. Should have had something left in the tank at mile 9.

Last updated: 2009-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/432
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto full
Course: Out and back with single line of bouys always to your left
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:59 | 55 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Really flat. Into the wind for the first half.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:53:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. First and last sections were flat. Rolling hills and wide open for the middle of the course. Today's temp wasn't that high, but it was sunny and seemed like the humidity was up.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes