General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to like running or at least tolerate it Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-03-25 10:27 PM
in reply to: #13959

User image

Subject: RE: How to like running or at least tolerate it
I personally do not like to run, but i think it has more to do with my stamina then anything else. I can only do about a quarter mile and i end up walking the rest of my time. But there is some good advice that i will try, next time i go running.

2004-03-25 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
ok JayC, lets straighten things out a bit.
1) the reason I included my coaching experience was to convey the message i have qualifations and many years experience to back up my reasons for dissagreeing with your theory
2) I understand your intentions were good, however the reason I "attacked you" as you put it, was for the fact you are blindly leading others to believe that they should use your technique.
3) As you said yourself, you are "a student in everything I do". There is a reason students do not teach classes, and this is exactly why. I cant be sure that you are basing your veiws on the websites you posted, however if you are you have misinterpreted them.

"Overstriding is a form flaw, but in order to run as efficiently as possible, you must extend your stride to its maximum, without overstriding."
"You should increase your stride length by pushing off powerfully with your rear foot and driving your knee forward. You should reach out with your forward foot and use the forward momentum of your body to center your body over the foot at touchdown"
http://www.runningplanet.com/articles/article_detail.asp?article_id...

"One of the biggest problems of form in long distance running is overstriding. Make sure that you don't do this"
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/running_form.html

Many of my athletes overstride themselves, causing their torso to turn from side to side, and often cause there technique to act as a brake on their momentum. However this does not mean reducing stride length dramatically and dramatically removing knee drive will solve the problem (as stated in one of the websites you yourself posted).

4) I understand now you did not intend to use the word shuffle, so we are coming closer to a common wave length

5) This is a picture of me in a 3000m steeple chase (only pic I have - 3k steeple is an endurance event of around the same intensity of the 5km) and as you can see, even on the last lap, out of the water jump i have an increased stride length by pushing off powerfully with my rear foot and driving my knee forward.

aidan

(my steeple 2.jpg)

(my steeple.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
my steeple 2.jpg (52KB - 15 downloads)
my steeple.jpg (51KB - 18 downloads)
2004-03-25 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Aidan,

What is a steeplechase?

2004-03-25 11:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
five steeples (big chunky hurdles) are placed around a 400m track (one in the home straight, one before the first bend, one on the other side of the bend, another on the end of the back straight, and a water jump halfway round the second bend). races are either 2-3km and steeple heights are either 76.2cm (low height) or 91.4 (high height). The idea is to pretty much get over the steeples with the most efficient technique to save as much energy as possible while still keeping up speed. this might mean hurdling the steeples (hurdling the water jump if your an ethiopian - they are really cool to watch) or jumping over them by stepping up, on and over them.
its a really fun event - not so much monotony... try it sometime!

oh, and the water jump is a lot bigger than what it looks, especially when you are in a pack of 20 all heading for the same jump! as long as you commit you shouldnt stack it

aidan

Edited by Pro_rider 2004-03-25 11:53 PM
2004-03-26 6:56 AM
in reply to: #14468

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Aidan -
I think that we are closer to thinking the same than you think. I think that your original post you assumed that I meant dragging your feet and running straight legged and that's not what I meant at all. I will include pictures and good descriptions with the article and then we can discuss further if you like.

To be good at anything, you have to be a student of it. That holds true of any profession or sport be triathlon, running, computers, teacher and even coach. The day you stop being a student is the day you start falling behind... I'll never stop learning and I will always consider myself a student.

Have a good day and run well...
Jason
2004-03-26 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
im not quite sure that this article thing is such a great idea. I understand you are trying to help others, but your knowledge on the subject isnt thorough enough. throughout your thread your "ideal technque" has changed to suit your aurguement for it.

* "you will get faster without trying" - unless you are new to running, how can improvement be made without increasing speed/workload or in other words 'raising the bar'? - "...however when it comes time to improve your speed and race times, its time to move on. " - Pro_rider
* "Keep your feet low to the ground" - How can you keep your feet low to the ground while still managing to push off powerfully with your rear foot and driving your knee forward? as I suggested and you agreed with above
* "Use short strides" - "you must extend your stride to its maximum" - a quote from the site you posted
* This is why I advocate "shuffling" - not shuffling any more?

i wont go on, im sure you get the idea. I myself dont like the idea of writing for others as I feel i havent the experience for the impact i could cause...I hope now you understand where i am coming from

aidan

2004-03-26 7:47 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
ok...
No article
2004-03-26 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
cool dude
2004-03-26 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Gentlemen, let's take it easy here.

I think JC still wants to write his article, but some of the rest of us disagree with his wording. A post a while back said that there are two types of people here. 1) Those that feel they are capable of real speed while running, and by that I mean something less than 6 or 7 minutes a mile. 2) Those that would just be happy to finish a running 5K without vomiting. These two would have fairly different running styles. What if JC were to write a draft for the article and let Aidan review it off line before posting it?

And yeah, the steeplechase is a cool race to watch. But that can also be because of the potential for disaster...
2004-03-26 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
sounds like a good idea to me
2004-03-26 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I never ran a steeplechase. I was a high jumper in college.

What do you do about the water in your shoes during the race?

2004-03-26 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
you stop being soft and tough it out lol, nah jokes....pretty much the same as the tri - there is no way around it. I put holes in the sides of my spikes so the water can drain out and so there isnt as much material for the water to absorb into - thats also why you dont generally wear socks in the steeple. blisters just come with the package

aidan
2004-03-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #14543

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Too be honest... It's just not worth it. I don't mind writing an article, I just wanted to help some people that were having problems getting started into running. I am a regular guy with a Wife, two kids and a full time job. My nights are already busy with coaching my sons soccer team, family activities and training. I don't have time to argue about who thinks what or who is right and I can just about guarantee that this is what would end up happening.
2004-03-26 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Jay C,I am sadden by what I sense is a loss of enthusiasm seen in your post. I know that it's been a little rough, with blowing up this balloon about how to tolerate running, getting good feed back and then having that balloon busted by an earnest, but let's say, less than tackful forum member. I do hope that this does not lessen your will to contribute your ideas. I'm sure Aidan meant well, but as he is young, he just hasn't been steeped in what I like to call criticism etiquette. But we're all mature adults here and some of us, like me are learning. No one who writes, teaches, or speaks about a subject knows everything about that subject because no one man is God. I just want you to know JayC that I appreciate your opinion and welcome others. I understand as well the need to make sure that information we share does not harm or injure someone. But I would think we'd all have the common sense to follow what works for us and disavow what doesn't.My two cents. Ovetta.
2004-03-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: #14570

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not going anywhere

We smoothed things over outside the public view. As I told him, I don't carry around hard feelings, life is just too short.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Edited by JayC 2004-03-26 11:01 AM
2004-03-26 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Awesome!I'm a Libra and I guess I'm just blessed/cursed to want everyone to get along! Oh well!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to like running or at least tolerate it Rss Feed  

of 2