General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting on Seams Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-28 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Subject: Sitting on Seams
Does this bother anyone else on the bike?  I finally found a saddle that so far is great, but the seams in my shorts are directly under my sit bones and are causing a great deal of pain.  They are the DeSoto women's carrera shorts and are advertised as having "Microlock stitching for a strong short with a soft, feminine look and feel."  I've looked at pictures from some pro ladies and it seems that some of them sit on seams with no issues.  Maybe this is something I will get used to eventually?  If anyone else has had this issue and found a way to resolve it, I would be thrilled to hear what your solution is.  I'm thinking about trying these Oomph! shorts next.  They are advertised as Seamless crotch panel,ensures that you are not 'sitting on seams'."  Can anyone confirm or deny that they inded solve the sitting on seams issue?

Thanks in advance!

2009-07-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2312589

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
Subject: RE: Sitting on Seams

I have both of these shorts and have never had issues with the seams on the DeSoto shorts. I do however, hate the gripper on the leg of the Oomph ones so those only get pulled out of the drawer when I've not done the laundry.

2009-07-28 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Hmmm.... I wonder why this bother me then...  maybe my pelvis is oddly shaped???

If you look at the Women's Olympic Triathlon photo gallery posted here.  You can see in several of the bike pics from behind the women what I'm talking about - especially the women who race in swim suits.  They are literally sitting on seams.  Maybe I'm the only one who finds this extremely painful.
2009-07-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2313324

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Oh no - you're not the only one.  I've got a pair of Zoot's that drive the nether regions crazy.  I'm sure it's the seams causing the problems.

2009-07-28 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Thanks for the confirmation roch1009!  Smile  I've been doing some research this afternoon, and it seems that some people have larger leg/but "arcs" than others.  So if the pad is small and your leg arc is big, that causes problems.  I guess that could be my problem.  I wonder if they sale shorts with a bigger chamois?  Maybe I should go for some unisex shorts.  Seems like the chamois in those would be a bit bigger.
2009-07-28 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I'd suggest calling someplace like Tri sports and talking with them instead of just keep trying other shorts. I have found they are great for talking over gear and if you could talk to one of the women there..I like Barbara, they will either know or find out for you.

I have Oomph shorts with their distance pad and really like them. Pad doesn't bother me at all.

I wonder if the issue is you are looking at shorts that have mini almost nothing chamois and seams can be felt. I do longer races so get tri shorts with a little bit more substantial  chamois and haven't had an issue with seams. But use the same shorts if I do sprints or olys.

I like the DeSoto 400 mile shorts and really they are my favorite for doing long rides as they have no grippers and don't dig in on the waist. I'm trying to decide between those and my Oomph tri shorts for my IM.

2009-07-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2312663

User image

Master

KiminON - 2009-07-28 11:24 AM

I have both of these shorts and have never had issues with the seams on the DeSoto shorts. I do however, hate the gripper on the leg of the Oomph ones so those only get pulled out of the drawer when I've not done the laundry.

I have a pair of shorts with the "gripper" around the leg.  After about 2 hours of sweating in them, they leave a WHITE line around your leg.  Makes you look like a weirdo at the pool later in the day.  I also have a pair that have a wild thread somewhere in the padding that I can't find once I take them off.  An hour or 2 at 80-90 RPM and a wild thread do not go well together!

2009-07-28 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Seams are evidence that the triathlon clothes designers are all MEN. Evil, evil seams. Why? Why put one right down the middle of the pad, where the most delicate parts will touch? Drives me insane.

Anyways, the Desoto shorts are great, I've had a lot of success with their seamless pads. I also ended up finding a saddle that does not make contact in the seam region, so I could use some of my seamed shorts. Unfortunately, you cannot tell if a pair of shorts are going to work until you've ridden them for a while. I have a pair of Sugoi shorts (with a seam) that have worked for me as well, but I also have a pair of TYR with no seam that are the worst shorts in the world...

Also- I was waaay more sensitive to the seam in the first 2 years of training/racing, but now, I am mostly comfortable, as long as I stand up and relieve the pressure every 30min or so.
2009-07-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2313496

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
crews - 2009-07-28 4:47 PM

KiminON - 2009-07-28 11:24 AM

I have a pair of shorts with the "gripper" around the leg.  After about 2 hours of sweating in them, they leave a WHITE line around your leg.  Makes you look like a weirdo at the pool later in the day.  I also have a pair that have a wild thread somewhere in the padding that I can't find once I take them off.  An hour or 2 at 80-90 RPM and a wild thread do not go well together!

My gripper shorts actually cut a giant slash into my legs! I now have a lovely scar right where my shorts used to go. Sucks!
2009-07-29 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Kathy - thanks so much for the suggestions.  I called up trisports and the lady who answered wasn't Barbra.  Whoever it was didn't really seem to get my question and was just kinda confused.  I think I finally explained it to her and she said that she had never heard of that problem before so I'm not sure if she still didn't get it or what.  ANYWAYS, thanks to your recommendation and the recommendations of several others on here on different threads, I'm going to go for the DeSoto 400-Mile shorts.  I want to build up to a HIM (and possibly a full IM next year) so these should hopefully work great for me.

crews and jazz82482 - I've never had a problem with the leg grippers, but then my longest ride so far was about 2.5 hours.  I'm still going to play it safe and go with the no gripper DeSoto's.  jazz, that's crazy that grippers actually cut you!!

Quote: "Unfortunately, you cannot tell if a pair of shorts are going to work until you've ridden them for a while. I have a pair of Sugoi shorts (with a seam) that have worked for me as well, but I also have a pair of TYR with no seam that are the worst shorts in the world..."

Unfortunately, I've found this to be true as well.  Sucks when shorts cost $50-$100 a pop though.

Thanks for all the advice girls!  Wish me luck with the DeSoto 400-mile bike shorts!! 

Edited by rach_1623 2009-07-29 7:41 AM
2009-07-29 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Warrenton, VA
I have the DeSoto Carrera shorts and I know the first time I wore them I was really aware of the chamois seams.  The next time I added some body glide and they haven't bothered me since.  I also have the Tyr ones which seem like I am wearing a diaper, so I will not wear those ones..HATE them!!

Try some bodyglide directly onto the seams and see if that helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting on Seams Rss Feed