United States
Setup Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I think I need a routine. I was too nervous to eat. I made myself try and eat a bisquit from bisquitville 2 hours before start time. I could never seem to get myself hungry.
Event warmup:

Stretching, 200 yard swim. I had this 'nervous' heart rate thing going on which made me feel like I was out of breath when I really wasn't.
Swim
  • 22m 4s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

yeesh this was terrible (for me). I made by biggest mistake of the day before the horn even went off. I was in the 2nd wave and right after the first wave took off, made my way down in to the water. I obviously paid no attention to where I was since I found myself in the middle, and front when the guy yelled "15 SECONDS!!". I tried to make my way back and over some, but it was too late when the horn sounded. I took off and felt pretty good for about 300 yards (est.) or so, but that's when the trouble started. There was some kind of bottle-neck or something and it just got crazy. For a moment, I could've sworn that I wasn't even in the water. There were bodies everywhere. I felt people going over me, under me, you name it. Despite being a very strong pool swimmer, I discovered the hardest thing to do is to stop/start a few times... talk about sucking energy. I NEVER thought I'd be the guy who needed to hang on to a kayak, but I was dyin' out there! To make matters worse, I don't think I was sighting too well. I'm sure I ended up swimming further than necessary. I also realized that my sighting tends to drop my hips in the water AND that I don't kick hard enough in open water either. A heck of a time to figure this out huh? I was pretty glad to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

DEFINITELY seed myself better. Pay attention...!
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

The swim was such a struggle with all of those people. I was a little dizzy coming out of the water. I recovered quickly though, so its all good. Since I had to walk, but time could've/would've/should've been a lot faster, but I guess it'll just look like I improved that much on my next race.

Hmm, not strain calf before the race would be a good place to start. Everything else was pretty good for this one.
Bike
  • 50m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr

Admittedly, I kept a little too much in the tank on the bike. I think I do this subconciously, and really need to stop. In this case, I knew there was to be no running afterwards (thanks to the strained calf), so I should've gone all out.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Again, being forbidden from running really ruined this for me. I was in and back out really fast, all things considered. Had I been running, I would've had a good transition here.

again, don't strain calf muscle!
Run
  • 42m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

dang I felt like such a tool walking out of the transition area! Truthfully, my doctor would've clutched his chest had he seen the surface I had chosen to walk 3 miles on. I must've walked pretty fast though as I finished in just a little over 42 mins. Not too bad for walking I guess.

see avoiding calf injury above.
Post race
Warm down:

Wondered around looking for Anthony.. drank a TON!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the thing that slowed me down the most on race day is the fact that I'm absolutely FORBIDDEN to run. I suffered a calf strain earlier in the month, and probably should've dropped out all together. It was only because it was too late for a refund that I decided to go ahead w/ the race. I was originally gonna just do the swim and bike and just take the DNF... but decided that just wasn't in me. I walked the entire run portion instead. I felt like a total tool, but I did it... its better than taking a DNF!

Event comments:

the thing that slowed me down the most on race day is the fact that I'm absolutely FORBIDDEN to run. I suffered a calf strain earlier in the month, and probably should've dropped out all together. It was only because it was too late for a refund that I decided to go ahead w/ the race. I was originally gonna just do the swim and bike and just take the DNF... but decided that just wasn't in me. I walked the entire run portion instead. I felt like a total tool, but I did it... its better than taking a DNF!

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:04 | 820 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 250/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:39 | 15 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Overall: 232/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Good course. A few small hils, but it felt fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:10 | 03.11 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 283/
Performance:
Course: According to my Forunner, this was not a full 5k, but I'll leave that for others to fight out. the trail was pretty crazy, and had I been running, I know I'd have been hurting a little since I run only on roads. The up/down side to side trails looked to be pretty tough on all of the people who were passing my walking self!
Keeping cool Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes