USAT
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 36m
Overall Rank = 25/486
Age Group = 35-39 M
Age Group Rank = 5/43
Pre-race routine:

Not good. Attended a wedding and reception the night before so I got very little sleep. Breakfast was yogurt and bagel. Picked up coworker around 6:00am and arrived at the event at 6:45. Got marked and set up the bike in the transition area - all done by 7:30. This was my first tri, so I spent a lot time watching and asking questions. My coworker is a very experience triathlete and was a huge help in getting everything set up.
Event warmup:

Did a ~1 mile run warm up and a short swim. Warm up was fine, but the first exposure to open water was a shock and a prelude of bad things to come.
Swim
  • 08m 9s
  • 300 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy crap. The horn went of and everything exploded. My goggles got knocked off, I swallowed 2 gallons of water, I got hit, kicked, scratched and pushed. The small amount of form I've developed disappeared and it was all about survival. Got a lot of work to do.
What would you do differently?:

Basically everything. Start further back. Find more open water. Don't swallow water. Practice in open water before racing in it...
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Cap got stuck on my head. Got bike shoes and helmet on quickly, unracked bike and ran out of transition area. Had a bit of a delay getting started as there was a traffic jam at the end of the transition area.

Run past the traffic and get started on the bike in an open area.
Bike
  • 30m 28s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good to get on the bike after the horrible swim. Almost crashed on the first hill as someone zig-zagged directly into my path. I started out strong on the first hill, taking the opportunity to pass a lot of folks before the first turn, then settled into my pace. Kept "swapping" leads (no drafting) with one guy until we hit a climb and he fell back. Stayed on the aero bars pretty much the entire ride. Felt comfortable and powerful on the bike. Bike computer wasn't working so I didn't know my position on the course. About crashed at the start of the transition as my pedal messed up and I couldn't unclip.

Fix bike computer, New pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Pedal problems mentioned above about cause me to crash and added a bit of adrenaline to T2. Once that was over, everything else went fine. I race in mountain bike shoes, so I don't worry about taking my feet out of the shoes on the bike. I just ride to the transtion area, dismount and run in the bike shoes to the rack, then change shoes at the rack.

Not much - fix the pedals.
Run
  • 12m 5s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt fine at the start of the run. Had 2 guys pass me in the first 1/2 mile. I tried to stick with them, but couldn't. Felt fine to the turnaround and maintaned pace until the end. Good cadence on the run. Glad it was only 2 miles.

Pace a little better at the start and push harder at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer and burgers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim, swim, swim...

Event comments:

Fun event, though as Dennis mentioned, it wasn't exactly a 'rookie' event. My goals were to survive the swim, have a top 5 age group split on the bike and run sub-7 minute miles. I hit those goals. though the swim was horible, scary and a big indicator that I have a whole lot of work to do in that area. The pool just doesn't prepare you for that mess. Good time on the bike and good run, and much better overall finish than expected. Good introduction to Tri's

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:09 | 300 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 20/43
Overall: 255/486
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Semi-circle in a man-made lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:28 | 11.2 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/43
Overall: 17/486
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling, non technical, square course. A few sharp turns by no real handling challenges. Hills were short and pretty shallow. There was decent amount of wind, but the square course ensured that it all equalled out. Good job by race crew to block traffic. I only saw 1 car the entire lap.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:05 | 02 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/43
Overall: 40/486
Performance: Good
Course: It was supposed to be 2 miles out and back, but I think it was short. I don't believe I ran 6 minute miles. It would be nice if I did, though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 10:13 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: Rookie Tri

2005-05-07 10:20 PM
in reply to: #154283

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rookie Tri
Nice report. I think you're right about the run being short. I can't imagine I did 6:58's, though like you said: it would be nice. I also think the swim may have been a bit long. I felt like I was cruising pretty quick and my pace was 2:01/100m. I still can't believe I was first in our age group for the swim.

With your bike and run times, you'll be dangerous when you get the swim figured out. Good luck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rookie Tri Rss Feed