General Discussion Race Reports! » Tolland Summer Solstice Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tolland Summer Solstice Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tolland, Connecticut
United States
Tolland Recreation Department
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 51s
Overall Rank = 56/92
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/14
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast was english muffin with PB&J.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 05m 30s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got into the water a little before the start but didn't do much because it was so cold. Since I'm a strong swimmer I decided to get out in the front of my heat and just go for it. I was in the water for about 30 seconds and my feet cramped up super bad from the cold. It hurt like hell... and then they went numb. I decided to just keep kicking with my legs and try not to move my feet to much. I quickly fell into the fourth position and despite the cold I felt pretty strong. Because the water was so cold (and dark) I swam the entire way with my head above water but it didn't slow me down to much.

When the swim was finished I limped out of the water because it hurt to walk on my cramped up feet. I walked/hopped/limped up the hill into transition. When I got to my spot I looked at my watch and it said 5:45. Once we got the results my swim was recorded as 7 minutes. Three other people in my wave had this time so obviously something was messed up because I didn't cross the mat with 3 other people.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was just really really cold.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

T1 went pretty fast. I stripped off my wetsuit and jumped on the bike. My feet were still hurting but I didn't notice them too much after I put on my shoes. My recorded T1 time was 1:07. I took the 1:30 I cut off my swim and added it to my T1 time... From now on the splits seem correct so it should get simpler ;)

Nothing, just practice transitions more
Bike
  • 45m 54s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt strong on the bike and I actually passed quite a few people (a change from the last race). Now, a lot of these people were on hybrid or mountain bikes, but I even passed a few on road bikes. I pushed hard on the bike and with about a mile left to go it dawned on me that I still had to run 3.1 miles. Oops.

Easy up at the end of the bike to prepare for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

T2 felt fast but in hindsight it was not. I was 86th out of 92 for speed. I have a lot of work to do on transitions still...

Practice more.
Run
  • 31m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning of the run really sucked. Like really,really sucked. About 100 yards in I was thinking to myself "This must be what it means to bonk on the run." I was afraid that I was going to have to start walking, but I pushed through and about a half mile in I started to get into a groove.

Do more running off the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold water, need to do more bricks.

Event comments:

Very well organized, lots of race report, and free sandwiches for everyone after. Age groupers received certificates and gift cards.

Last updated: 2009-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:30 | 300 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Average
Suit: long legs, sleeveless wetsuit
Course: The course was a short perimeter swim of about 300 yards. The swim was broken into 3 waves. Each wave had about 30 people and the start was standing in water, about waist deep. The swim entrance and exit were in the same spot so the second heat left after a 3 minute delay, and the third heat left after a 10 minute delay.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:54 | 12 miles | 15.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 43/92
Wind: None
Course: The course was full of rolling hills that made for a challenging and fun ride. It was very well marked with both paint on the road and volunteers at all major intersections.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:07 | 03.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/14
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Below average
Course: A 1.5 mile loop, completed twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-31 8:49 AM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Tolland Summer Solstice Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tolland Summer Solstice Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed