General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-05-18 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2865502

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread
JPS0135 - 2010-05-18 10:47 AM

So...weird question here.  This year we got the shirt and hat in our goodie bag at check in.  In prior years, we didn't get these until > the race, and they were "finisher's gear".  Does anyone have an issue with not getting any finisher's swag other than the medal?  Personally, I missed getting something that said finisher...

i felt the same way. my hat last year said finisher on it. i thought it was sad that this year i finished and it doesn't say it.

2010-05-18 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2319164

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/17/gator-chomp-wont-stop-fla-triathlete

check this story out!! happened on sunday not far from orlando!

Edited by gvmhlal 2010-05-18 11:32 AM
2010-05-18 12:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well not going to complain to much, but finished up in 6:33 which was a good 34 minutes over where I wanted to be.. Swim was 5-7 minutes slower than I was expecting (was hoping for a low 40 min, but ended up with 50 min...), didn't feel bad but noticed that my spotting was screwing up my form.. need to work on that as it took me a few to figure that out.. bike I felt great on.. and that was most likely the problem. Started out on the ride and noticed that my computer wasn't reading.. pulled over to fiddle with it and no luck, figured "oh well, i'll ride by feel".. was checking with people as I passed them and the avg was 18mph that was coming from those individuals.. Figured i was probably a little off my pace but not much, well I guess I should've pushed it because 3:08 on that course for me was absurd by no less than 20 minutes.
Run was hot.. we all know that.. but first loop was ok, felt great on the 2nd loop and 3rd loop was a bear.. but it's done.. and i'll be wating for the registration to open for 2011.. hot run or not, I ran my race and finished with some cramping (i found it's kind of hard to run while your calf is cramping so much your toes curl under) and stretching the last mile.
Amazing race, had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year. Wanting to do Augusta this year but will be starting a new job here in a couple of weeks and not sure that I want to try and juggle new job items with 1/2 IM training.. so might stick to OLYs the remainder, as much as it kills me.
To those who race the full distance, you are my hero's.. i don't know how it would've been possible for me to double that distance, but one day i'll get there..

Thanks for everyone's support on this site, it's been great!
Derek
2010-05-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2864304

User image

St. Johns
The Cube - 2010-05-17 6:30 PM Shellabree... Thx for the props. I only speek the truth. I under the race pace thing. Last year I did Augusta 70.3 last in the season after Fla 70.3 and ran a full min per mile faster (9:24 vs. 10:16) After Fla 70.3 last year, I drank a full gallon of Gatorade and STILL didnt pee until 11pm that night!! As I said before, I love the race but will NOT return until they change that run course. Totally Unacceptable for an Ironman Race!! FM "The" Cube

I agree on not returning until run venue change.....

I enjoyed the experience, but my run time avg 8:59 was my slowest ever.  While we can't control the heat, the course can be controlled.  I suspect that Disney does not want to give up precious pavement for an extended period of time during the later parts of the race.

My overall time was 5h25min.....I'm happy with that considering the conditions, but won't return.  Augusta is a better venue in my opinion.  Hopefully Augusta will have better SWAG this year
2010-05-18 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
someone post a pic of the finishers medal...they seem to get smaller every year.

FM
"The Cube"
2010-05-18 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2864253

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
sarahswhere - 2010-05-17 6:07 PM
[email protected] - 2010-05-16 8:06 PM Rough day here.  My swim was good for me.  Cramped bad at mile 47 had to get off the bike for about 25 minutes.  Got back on the bike and cramped again at mile 52 had to get off the bike and lost about 15 minutes.  Walked almost the entire half marathon due to cramps. Every time I tried to run for any length of time my quads would start to lock up on me.    Still okay with finishing.  Took me 7 hours and 59 minutes.  It was sure great talking to all of the BTers this week and meeting several of them because of this race.  Sara, Kevin, Dewey, Todd, the guy I met in a bookstore in Winter Garden can't remember his name, the guy who met us for a swim on Thursday from California and all who posted here.  I am not going to be training for an Ironman on November 12th Beach to Battle Ship.  I have a lot of work to do in the next 5 and 1/2 months but I look foward to the challenge.  Hope all here have great races in the future.  Good Luck

Brian Cooper

Glad to hear you made it Brian!  It was great meeting you and swimming at Lucky's, thanks for all the great info you gave.  Your time was great considering having to take some pretty substantial breaks!  I finished in 6:48:50, so I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere!  Frown  I had to walk about 2/3 of the run just to finish the race.  It was BRUTAL!!! Ice in my hat, shirt, and shorts the whole time.  Congrats to your daughter on the graduation!  I may just see you next year for this one.

By the way, the boyfriend made it and was there for every transition and loop on the run.  The finish was the best.  Couldn't help but shed some tears.

Sarah,
It was great meeting you as well.  I am glad the boyfriend showed up and continues to exceed your expecatations.  Let us know how that goes.  Please stay in touch on any future races you  are doing in Colorado or down this way and thanks for flying C130 in service to your country!

2010-05-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2866427

User image

Veteran
Here's the medal.

(medal.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
medal.jpg (74KB - 43 downloads)
2010-05-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2865213

User image

Veteran
booth22 - 2010-05-18 8:26 AM

Congrats Sarah!!!  I looked for you prerace but post race I was just wiped...you got me by 5 minutes but I don't think I could have done anything else......at least the difference wasn't all in transitions    Good luck to you and your new man...

p.s.  be safe the next few months....

I bet sarah could have done something else....

SurprisedLaughing
2010-05-19 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
First day back at work for me today and I was shocked how many of my co-workers  came to see me and to give me a congrates and some even followed the race. I have not yet fully embrassed what I did sunday(my first half ironman) but with people patting me on the back and asking a ton of questions and recaping the race for them. It really hit home after lunch when the owner of the compnay came down and spoke to me and told me how proud he was and how glad to have me as an employee who has such high goals. I almost got a tear going but Half Ironman  do not cry so I did`nt. I can not wait to do my next HIM and picking a Full Ironman for next year to do.
2010-05-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2868817

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Livestrong191 - 2010-05-19 2:35 PM First day back at work for me today and I was shocked how many of my co-workers  came to see me and to give me a congrates and some even followed the race. I have not yet fully embrassed what I did sunday(my first half ironman) but with people patting me on the back and asking a ton of questions and recaping the race for them. It really hit home after lunch when the owner of the compnay came down and spoke to me and told me how proud he was and how glad to have me as an employee who has such high goals. I almost got a tear going but Half Ironman  do not cry so I did`nt. I can not wait to do my next HIM and picking a Full Ironman for next year to do.

That is just so awesome!  You should be extremely proud!  That was not an easy HIM for you to attempt on your first time out... but you did it!  I think it takes an extra amount of mental toughness to run a half marathon trail run in a 90+ heat index after already swimming/biking.  You need to be celebrating big!  I know that I still am!  The cheesy grin on my face in my finish line photo shows it well... and I swear, I'm still wearing it!

Do you have any ideas about which full you want to do next year?  I had been reserving my decision about whether or not to attempt a full until this race was over.  I just wanted to make sure that after the second time around that I still wanted to put in the effort AND then some... and I most certainly do! Exciting times! 

Congrats again!!! 
2010-05-19 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Guys...Come join me in the build to IM Lou next year.
Planning on using my same coach and doing Rock-n-Rollman or Rev3 Half in May/June as part of the build to IM Lou in Aug. Then a nice finish to the year @ IM 70.3 Miami in late Oct.
Not going to do the 12 events like this year, maybe 8-10 max.
Anyone looking for a 70.3 to do for the second half of this season, Augusta 70.3 (Sept 26th) is a awsome race and a really fast swim (down river, 28min last yr) a nice rolling hills bike and a flat run thru downtown on paved streets!!! GREAT vibe with this one, looking forward to it again this year.
Would love some company!!

FM
"The" Cube

2010-05-19 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2869439

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Cube - 2010-05-19 5:02 PM Guys...Come join me in the build to IM Lou next year. Planning on using my same coach and doing Rock-n-Rollman or Rev3 Half in May/June as part of the build to IM Lou in Aug. Then a nice finish to the year @ IM 70.3 Miami in late Oct. Not going to do the 12 events like this year, maybe 8-10 max. Anyone looking for a 70.3 to do for the second half of this season, Augusta 70.3 (Sept 26th) is a awsome race and a really fast swim (down river, 28min last yr) a nice rolling hills bike and a flat run thru downtown on paved streets!!! GREAT vibe with this one, looking forward to it again this year. Would love some company!! FM "The" Cube

I am debating my plans right now.  I actually just posted a thread in the other Iron sections asking for advice.  I know people have complained about the heat and hills at Louisville but do you know if it is a fast course otherwise?  I seem to have stood up to the heat pretty well at FL 70.3 so I am less afraid of it now.  IMWI this year will test my stamina for a true hill course.

Living in Atlanta I am definitely looking at Augusta.  This year with IMWI it is not in the cards. I have heard that it is a good race with a REALLY FAST SWIM.  Since swimming is by far my weakness I thought this might be a good one for me. 
2010-05-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2869322

User image

Master
Wilmington
shellabree - 2010-05-19 4:09 PM
Livestrong191 - 2010-05-19 2:35 PM First day back at work for me today and I was shocked how many of my co-workers  came to see me and to give me a congrates and some even followed the race. I have not yet fully embrassed what I did sunday(my first half ironman) but with people patting me on the back and asking a ton of questions and recaping the race for them. It really hit home after lunch when the owner of the compnay came down and spoke to me and told me how proud he was and how glad to have me as an employee who has such high goals. I almost got a tear going but Half Ironman  do not cry so I did`nt. I can not wait to do my next HIM and picking a Full Ironman for next year to do.

That is just so awesome!  You should be extremely proud!  That was not an easy HIM for you to attempt on your first time out... but you did it!  I think it takes an extra amount of mental toughness to run a half marathon trail run in a 90+ heat index after already swimming/biking.  You need to be celebrating big!  I know that I still am!  The cheesy grin on my face in my finish line photo shows it well... and I swear, I'm still wearing it!

Do you have any ideas about which full you want to do next year?  I had been reserving my decision about whether or not to attempt a full until this race was over.  I just wanted to make sure that after the second time around that I still wanted to put in the effort AND then some... and I most certainly do! Exciting times! 

Congrats again!!! 

I live in Wilmington and I know for  sure I am doing the B2B full as a relay team(doing the swim part and maybe the bike). I was thinking about HIM Augusta and Full IM next year I was thinking IM Florida,louisville,Lake Placid. Thats just some I was thinking about.

2010-05-19 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
congrats to everyone!! It was a tough day out there. sorry I didn't get to meet more of you. looks like lots of people met their goals and finished on a tough hot day! happy recovery to all!
2010-05-19 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Photos are up !!!

http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=59924 http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=59924
2010-05-19 7:58 PM

New user

The Cube - 2010-05-19 5:02 PM Guys...Come join me in the build to IM Lou next year. Planning on using my same coach and doing Rock-n-Rollman or Rev3 Half in May/June as part of the build to IM Lou in Aug. Then a nice finish to the year @ IM 70.3 Miami in late Oct. Not going to do the 12 events like this year, maybe 8-10 max. Anyone looking for a 70.3 to do for the second half of this season, Augusta 70.3 (Sept 26th) is a awsome race and a really fast swim (down river, 28min last yr) a nice rolling hills bike and a flat run thru downtown on paved streets!!! GREAT vibe with this one, looking forward to it again this year. Would love some company!! FM "The" Cube

I'm in for Augusta.

2010-05-19 10:42 PM

Regular
Let me extend a very well earned victory to all that finished...!!!!!
This was my very first HIM and it was a physical and mental test.... that I passed!!! 
I've only got 1 kidney and the heat really pushed my ability to balance the electrolytes.  Spent about 15min in med tent on loop 2 of the the run, but they let me go back out and I finished..!!!  Think that I might need to look at a M-Dot race in a cooler location.  Still it was an amazing event and my thanks to everyone that posted on this thread.
2010-05-20 12:02 PM

User image

TN
I'm planning on racing IM Louisville this year. My time in FL was not as good as I expected, so I've got plenty of room to improve. My progression plan is to race the Oly Tri in Chatanooga, followed by IM 70.3 Benton Harbor 5 weeks before Louisville. I did IM 70.3 Augusta last year and would like to race it again this year - time, money & wife permitting.
2010-05-20 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
I'll be at Chat Oly also in July...hope to see you there!!

FM
"The" Cube
2010-05-22 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2871392

User image

St. Johns
I'm in for the Chattanooga Riverfront Oly as well.  Augusta again this year......finally getting a swim coach for me and my wife....
2010-05-22 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Cube,
I may want to do Augusta as a tune up for the B2B full I am doing in November.  Can you tell me how hilly the bike and run course are?  Is the run in the sun like it was at Disney?  Unlike Disney, I have seen no negative posts about this race and I think I might like to do it.
Brian

2010-05-23 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Cooper...
The bike @ Augusta is lite georgia rollers, meaning about like what you had at Fla around mile 30 except they start @ mile 17 and run thru mile 45 @ Augusta. A few are more steep, but you have some good decent sections. Not a bad ride at all.
The run is on the streets thru downtown on FLAT road, no dirt, grass or BS. Its mostly sunny but with a flat street ro run on I took 1min per mile off my Fla 70.3 run pace.
Overall a great/fun race. Hope this year the city gets more behind it as downtown as a great vibe for the whole weekend.

FM
"The" Cube
2010-05-26 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2876306

User image

St. Johns
The Cube - 2010-05-23 9:12 AM Cooper... The bike @ Augusta is lite georgia rollers, meaning about like what you had at Fla around mile 30 except they start @ mile 17 and run thru mile 45 @ Augusta. A few are more steep, but you have some good decent sections. Not a bad ride at all. The run is on the streets thru downtown on FLAT road, no dirt, grass or BS. Its mostly sunny but with a flat street ro run on I took 1min per mile off my Fla 70.3 run pace. Overall a great/fun race. Hope this year the city gets more behind it as downtown as a great vibe for the whole weekend. FM "The" Cube

X2

I too did Augusta last year.  Just finished FL and don't plan on doing it again.  The run is great with loops through downtown.  Some areas are shaded.  It can get really hot in Augusta, but shouldn't be like the steam bath we experienced in FL.  Also, the swim gave us all a Superman complex because of the 1/2 knot current.  Wetsuit legal last year......it should be fun. 

Only thing I'm hoping for is a better tech tee than the one given last year.......happy training!
2010-05-27 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
OK sad very sad news Folks. Someone or prsons felt the need to have my First HIM 70.3 Florida swim cap and they took it , How can I get or buy another one
2010-05-27 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2885251

Livestrong191 - 2010-05-27 8:07 AM

OK sad very sad news Folks. Someone or prsons felt the need to have my First HIM 70.3 Florida swim cap and they took it , How can I get or buy another one

how sad. i emailed ironman for another shirt and they said they would send me one. try that.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 28