General Discussion Race Reports! » Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Charleston Tri Club
Total Time = 1h 08m 43s
Overall Rank = 51/342
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Usually we stay at the beach house prior to one of these Charleston Races. However, several obligations prevented us from going down this weekend. Since I wasn't at the beach house which is 10 min from the race location, I had to get up @ 04:00. I ate a breakfast bar along with a banana, drank a Diet Mtn. Dew, and sipped on some G'Ade on the ride to the park. One of the obligations over the weekend was attending a baseball coaches party. They had steak and a lot of covered dishes. My stomach felt fine when I got up, but I litteraly had to sprint to the porta potty when I arrived at the race site. I ended up going 3 or 4 more times before the start of the race and I had a stomach ache for the remainder of the day.
Event warmup:

I decided to warm up a little longer and a little slower before this race. I rode 20 at a zone 2 effort with several hard 1 minute pickups toward the end of the 20 minutes. I used the running to the porta potty as my run warm up, and I swam about 2 or 3 minutes before the race start.
Swim
  • 10m 48s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Typical swim for me. I'm a middle of pack swimmer at best and that's where I finished.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

My goal was to come out of transition under 1:30.
Bike
  • 32m 58s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.66 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first sprint race that I decided to wear my heart rate monitor. I've been wearing the HR monitor more in training, but I was curious to see what my #'s would look like in a race situation compared to a training ride. The first interesting point was the run out of the water to T1. My HR was 170 on the short run to T1! No freaking wonder I always feel so winded when I come out of the water in T1. Once on the bike I let my HR come down to the high 150's. I then picked it up to 160 and held it there for a couple of miles. I then picked up the rate to 167 and held it there until shortly after the 1/2 way point. At that point I was feeling really good so I just rode hard (HR around 170) for the remainder of the ride.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to build my time on the bike and be more consistent with my weekly mileage/training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Fastest time in my AG!

Keep practicing fast transitions during brick training sessions.
Run
  • 23m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good coming off the bike. The first mile I kept my HR around 167. Up to this point I had passed several people on the run up but none of them were in my AG. At the one mile cone I passed a guy in my AG. I think that kind of spurred him on b/c in short order he passed me back. I quit worring about my heart rate and fell in behind him. Shortly before the two mile mark I decided to pass him. I heard him fall in behind me this time. About 3/4 mile to the finish I could still hear him behind me. I decided to put in a bigger push to see if I could drop him. I was able to drop him and I sprinted it out to the finish line for a 31 second course PR!

This was a good run for me. I was hoping to be < 23 min. but I was still happy with the effort.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, drank some G'ade, ate some oranges and watermelon.

Last updated: 2009-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:48 | 528 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 100/342
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise diamond shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:58 | 13 miles | 23.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 59/342
Performance: Good
AVG HR on the bike was 166
Wind:
Course: Around the James Island County Park. There was a course change from the previous races in this series. More of the bike leg was done inside the county park the rest of the race was outside of the park down Folley Road and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 74/342
Performance: Average
AVG running HR was 170.
Course: Two counter clockwise loops around pond at the county park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

2009-08-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2323657

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

WooooooooooooHooooooooooooo Brad...!!!!

5th place on your AG....Great Job...!!!!

Excellent times....You were smocking on your bike and run...!!! 

2009-08-03 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2323657

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3
Really nice race.  Looks like you put it together well.  That bike split is fantastic!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3 Rss Feed