General Discussion Race Reports! » 7th ANNUAL ST. MARY'S MEDICAL CENTER TRISTATE TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

7th ANNUAL ST. MARY'S MEDICAL CENTER TRISTATE TRIATHLON - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntington, West Virginia
United States
Healthy Huntington.org
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 35s
Overall Rank = 115/162
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5AM, had coffee and Clif bar. Drove to race site. You have to park like, 2 miles away and ride your bike with all your stuff over to the transition area, or walk it along a trail, but this time the trail was all muddy. So my dear boyfriend walked my bag over while I rode the bike.
Swim
  • 21m 13s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not a speedy swimmer, but this went pretty well, especially considering I have swam about 3 times in the past 2 months.
What would you do differently?:

Um, practice more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Is there some secret to getting my suit off my heels? I have some kind of vacuum action going on.
Bike
  • 52m 56s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.00 mile/hr
Comments:

There are plenty of volunteers and traffic control. I liked the course, but I think shortening it hurt me because I am strongest on the bike. This race is also draft legal, which I find pretty unfair. Theoretically, your competitor could draft off you for miles, and still be all fresh and ready to breakaway from you at the end. The run and bike courses also run together for the last 1.5 miles. The bike/run lanes in both directions are not marked well and there were bikes and runners every which way. I was afraid someone was going to get creamed. Passing became quite impossible during this stretch.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Run
  • 34m 44s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

As stated above, the run course was really congested with bicycles and runners going in both directions. It was kind of a mess, but I guess they couldn't help it due to bad conditions on the normal run route.
What would you do differently?:

Clearly running is my weakest event. I should be working a lot harder on it.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Although, for only having run and swam sporadically this summer, I feel fairly good about it. Wonder what I could achieve if I actually tried hard.

Event comments:

Good points: very friendly race, lots of great volunteers, good prizes, nice route, good post-race food, good for all levels, nice swim, friendly hecklers on the killer hill.
Negatives: draft legal, congested course, having to park so far away and shuttle your stuff.

Last updated: 2009-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:13 | 880 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 112/162
Performance: Good
Suit: sleevless
Course: Long triangular course in a lake - swim out to buoy, across to other buoy and back. I could sight using the treeline on the right side going out.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:56 | 15 miles | 17.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 88/162
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was shortened due to poor road conditions as a result of rain. It is a relatively flat (for WV) course with only one short stretch of busy road. There is one huge hill that you have to climb out and back that is kind of killer.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:44 | 02.9 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 131/162
Performance: Below average
Course: Out-and-back course on road with one killer hill. Otherwise, pretty flat and nice. This was a change from the planned run course, which was muddy and dangerous.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 1:47 PM

Subject: 7th ANNUAL ST. MARY'S MEDICAL CENTER TRISTATE TRIATHLON

2010-07-27 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2324594

New user
Subject: RE: 7th ANNUAL ST. MARY'S MEDICAL CENTER TRISTATE TRIATHLON
Newbie, coming to town for 1st time, big guy, any helpful hints or suggestions? What is the course like? Thanks.Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 7th ANNUAL ST. MARY'S MEDICAL CENTER TRISTATE TRIATHLON Rss Feed