General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeland Bi-Tri Classic - Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lakeland Bi-Tri Classic - Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canton, Illinois
United States
Canton Park District
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 18s
Overall Rank = 111/187
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of cereal and a banana and drove the hour and a half to the site.
Event warmup:

none really
Swim
  • 10m 46s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to swim in the fourth (last) wave since this was only my second race. I wanted to come out strong so I didn't get beat up like the race two weeks ago. After the first 50 yards I knew I was going to do better than most of the people in my wave. There was really noone near me and I was able to swim pretty much on the inside. As I rounded the first bouy I could see swimmers from the previous wave and only 2 purple caps ahead of me. At the 2/3 point it was just me and the guy I talked to before hand who said he would do well on the swim. I finished about 5 seconds behind him but #2 out of the water for our wave so I felt great about that. I looked at the timer and it said 10:10something so I knew I did well. After the 30 second run up the grass to T1 I was happy.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. I started outside and hard and did exactly what I wanted to do.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I don't know how my transition times are so bad. Maybe I need to swim with my shirt on or something. I really thought I was quicker than this sigh.

????
Bike
  • 39m 13s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

2 weeks ago I broke 18 MPH for the first time so I figured there was no way I would do better on the bike...WRONG!!! 18.4 woo hoo!!! I was riding very smooth considering when I got on the bike I felt a little winded because I really went hard at the begining of the swim. It took much longer to get my breath under control but I didn't feel tired. It's hard to explain....I could hear myself breathing hard but it didn't effect how fast I was able to go. Weird. At the halfway point I saw that purple cap that beat me on the swim and made it my mission to catch him before we got back. Talking to him pre-race he said he was agood biker, for a beginner, so I thought there was no way I would catch him. About 2/3 of the way back I could tell he was having problems on the hills so on the next big uphill I stood up and rode hard all the way up the hill. I passed him at the top and didn't see him again until the end!! That was probably the funnest part of the race. I am really liking the bike because there is always that mind set of catch the guy/gal in front of you. I think my biking is going to get better and better. As I finished the bike I noticed my calves startin to hurt, more on that in a minute....

After what happened on the run, maybe drink more or have some salt????
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I really don't know how this was over a minute. I had a little problem with my gloves but hey I don't have tri shoes so the biking shoes take longer to get out of right?????

??????
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where the trouble began. After I exited T2 and hit the trail both calves started hurting. Uh oh, not a cramp please!!! Nope not 1 but both calves cramped up big time. I tried to run through it but it was really bad. I stopped and tried to rub them out, hit them, massage them, nothing worked. I started walking/limping and tried to run for about an 1/8 of a mile. During that stretch I had one runner go by me and say "just take it easy, it aint worth it". It must have been pretty obvious how much it was hurting. After about an 1/8 of a mile I was able to jog very slowly and then a little faster each minute. Finally I started feeling better and I started running pretty hard for me. I passed a few people and got water at the first mile marker. Once again I was able to just get a swallow in, gotta work on that run and drink thing. I started to actually feel really good and was wondering if the walking actually helped lol. As I hit the last water station these kids were handing out cups and said "water mister?" I just laughed and said"nah, I'd probably just throw it up!!" At least I made them all laugh!!! As I was coming up on the finish line I was catching the guy ahead of me so I yelled at him not to let me catch him in the last 100 yards....he didn't, me and my big mouth lol!!! Over all I have to be happy with my run because it was a minute and a half faster than 2 weeks ago and I walked for the first 1/8 mile or so. I figure I must have been doing pretty good on the rest of the run.

Figure out a way to not cramp up on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed an orange, a muffin and a powerade and started asking people why would I cramp up. The responses most common were not enough hydration and not enough salt. The thing is I don't think it was hydration because I have been much thirstier after runs and bikes and never had that happen like that. Even now 2 days later both of my calves are REALLY sore. Whatever I did I did it good :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramps and my transition times.

Event comments:

On a personal note I felt this race was really good. If you take away the cramp issue I had a good swim and a really good bike for me, and the rest of the run was good. I am mad because I the guy right above me in my age group beat me by 10 seconds and I lost way more than that on the run, but I will get that figured out. If anyone has any good ideas about what I could take on the bike to stop the cramps at the end I am all ears. 2 races and 2 cramps at the end of the bike make me worried.

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:46 | 500 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 111/187
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: Small lake(pond) swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:13 | 12 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 89/187
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Uphill against the wind out, more downhill and wind at your back on the way in. Started raining at the turn around.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:45 | 03 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 143/187
Course: trail run with hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Lakeland Bi-Tri Classic - Triathlon

2009-08-03 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2324997

Regular
Newport Beach
Subject: RE: Lakeland Bi-Tri Classic - Triathlon

Good race Dewey.  Nice improvements in your swim and bike.  And way to tough it out on the run! 

JG

2009-08-03 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Dewy...LOVE the report!  Great choices made in the swim, awesomely inspiring moves on the bike and...the run...wow! All that trouble and still sub - 10 min miles!  I think I have mile pace envy   Seriously...way to go! GREAT race!
2009-08-04 9:16 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Kudos to Dewey for a great race & great RR!  Improvements are always welcomed and don't discount anything about your effort overall ~ You did a great job and ran a great race!  Keep working towards your goals and stay positive!  Great things will follow!
2009-08-04 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2326457

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Great race and great race report!  I'm envious of your times!

Too bad about the cramps, but I would suggest it's got little to do with hydration or salt, and more with just the amount of volume on that particular day.   More training would have likely prevented them (though I'm no coach).

I see the same thing on the swim when I ramp up the distance but am fatigued from training. 

Edited by roch1009 2009-08-04 9:33 AM
2009-08-07 8:48 PM

User image

Regular

Good job sounds like you had a great Plan. Just keep working your plan and work on your nutrition during your practice. I usally dont eat breakfast I usally drink an Ensure plus 1 1/2-2 hours before and a gatorade G2. take water on your bike and practice drinking on the bike. On the run I learned the hard way use the aid station wether u need it or not if your not thirsty dump it on the back of your neck to cool your body, and maybe work a gel in Ihave a gel bot which hold gel in my water bottle. Like the comment above me I'm no coach just telling u what I do. if it works for you great but like they say do everything in practice 1st not on race day. Good luck
The Wyldchyld

2009-08-08 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I enjoyed reading your race report Dewey.  Way to tough it out on the run.  Your bike time is really solid and overall you keep improving.  Congrats on another great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeland Bi-Tri Classic - Triathlon Rss Feed