Hammerhead Swim Team
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 51s
Overall Rank = 16/18
Age Group = All
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I drove up to Petoskey on Saturday afternoon with a friend. We did a wine tasting at Pleasant View, had dinner at Lou's and hung out on the beach at the Petoskey State Park.

It was TOUGH getting up on Sunday morning after sleeping on the hard ground and with it being FREEZING outside! The thought of getting into that cold water was not appealing.
Event warmup:

I did a little stretching, had a cup of coffee and ate a banana. I also chatted up a nice guy that was in town from San Diego on vacation and doing the race for the first time too.

About 3 minutes before the start, I jumped in the water. Before I knew it, we were off!
Swim
  • 1h 20m 51s
  • 3200 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I opted for the wetsuit since I was doing the 2 miler (longest distance at one time for me ever) and it was freakin freezing! All swimmers that were wearing wetsuits were placed into one division while those crazy SOB's that were not wearing wetsuits competed within their age groups. Also, the three mile race had been cancelled due to rough conditions, so those swimmers competed in the 2 mile race.

I started to the far right (near the shore) and in the middle. There wasn't too much traffic...I thought I would get bumped and kicked a little, but I didn't. The begining went well and I felt good. I had to fight a side cramp for part of the swim. But I don't think it slowed me down and I was able to keep up with a group of swimmers ahead of me for most of the first mile.

It got VERY choppy towards the point. Just before the turn around, I took a huge lung-full of water when I'd come up to sight. That stopped me in my tracks. I had to cough it out (I couldn't breath) before I could get going again. I knew I was ok and I didn't panic. I just needed a few seconds to clear my air way. Haha...I was more worried that someone would try to rescue me because I'm sure it looked like I was in trouble. But, I coughed it up and went on my way. At this point though, the group of swimmers I'd been keeping up with were long gone.

I swam the 2nd mile all by myself. There was no one around me. I started to worry that I was the last one out there! I had a hard time sighting because there were boats everywhere and the waves were still pretty big. But once I got back into the bay, it was smooth swimming and I was able to take it in pretty hard. I finally caught up to another swimmer and I outkicked him at the finish line.

What would you do differently?:

I hadn't been in the water in a month. So...I'd start with training more. Other than that, I thought I made a good effort and am pretty darn happy that I finished a 2 mile swim! I'd never gone that long in the water and it was very encouraging to see that I could do the distance and feel strong the entire time.

I know, too, that I could have pushed harder. I wasn't sure how I'd feel, so I took it nice and easy on the way out. Next time, I'd go harder because now I know I can do it.

Post race
Warm down:

I stretched out, threw on some warm clothes (it was still cold out) and watched the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and dehydration (legs started to cramp up during the last half mile).

Event comments:

I LOVED this race. It was low-key, but festive. The venue is great. It is so beautiful in Harbor Springs and the water is crystal clear. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:51 | 3200 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 16/18
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU - Sleeveless
Course: This was an out-and-back. They had us swimming along the coast in the bay. We went one mile out to the point and back. Boats lined the coarse the entire way....very cool!
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-04 8:34 AM

Master
Subject: Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl

2009-08-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2326320

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl
Great job!!!  2 miles, Wow is all i can say!  Thanks for posting the report ...I was just about to bug you :->
2009-08-05 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2326320

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl
Way to be - 2 miles is huge!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harbor Springs Coastal Crawl Rss Feed