United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m
Overall Rank = 8745/33000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not really a routine here. I went to bed at 11:45pm the night before and was up at 3:45am to get ready to leave for the race, which was 2 hrs away. I did eat a bowl of oatmeal and had a cliff bar before the race.
Event warmup:

I walked from the car several blocks to the race start for a warmup. Not a very far walk to the start line but it did seem a little farther on the way back.
Run
  • 2h 08m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the race with Eric (egates656) and we really didn't have a plan other than to finish and enjoy the race. My longest run to date...ever...is 8.5 miles and that was several weeks ago. My training since Jan was not very good. 16 miles last month, none in Feb and not much in March. So the expectations was 2:30 and I was happy, 2:15 very very happy and 2:10 would of been a shock.
So we start out and the first mile is just over 10 min's I think and I feel pretty good. The next 7-8 miles we run at 9:35-9:45 min miles and we are still feeling really good. It helped to run with someone and with the water stations and music playing it was fun the whole way. 17 water stations over 13 miles left plenty of options and they had bands playing all along the streets, about 30 of them or so. You always heard music playing and it was from gospel to reggae to country, to rock to folk ect..bagpipes even. Plus you had the crowd lined streets ringing cow bells, now that was cool. The lap around the track was cool but I was glad to be off of it. Coming out of the track we hit mile marker 9....between 9 and 10 was the moment of truth for me. At this point I have run farther than I have ever run and I was feeling the heat and pounding my legs were taking. Eric and I's talking had stopped as we were exiting the track and our pace had slowed to over 10 min miles thru mile 9, 10 & 11. At mile marker 11 I decided that I have 2 more freakin miles and I am going to pick up the pace here. I tell Eric I am going and I hit the last water station at about 11 1/2 mile point, drink a little throw the rest on my head and hit the 12 mile marker at exactly 2hrs. I run to the side of the road and take off. I finish the last 1.1 miles in 8 min's (that is a 7:16 min mile)passing some 1450 people on the way according to the standings. I probably could of ended up a minute or two quicker with some confidence but I KNOW I could do this under 2 hrs with just a little more training. I look forward to next year.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I really didn't train for this as I should have. Some my fault (lazy) some not my fault, flu, pneumonia, starting new job ect...However, I think our pacing was perfect for the condition we were in. Actually better than expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk thru the finishing shoot and thru the handouts of food, banana's, apples, water, potato chips ( I didn't think I would want the chips and they were the best chips I have ever had) and then to the photo lines. I then went to the park where families were waiting for racers. Eric and I headed towards the beer tent, grapped a couple of beers each and went to sit in the shade and relax. Then the long march back to the car, which didn't seem that far away on the way to the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

conditioning

Event comments:

After 29 years of this this race just rocks. Everything runs smooth from the start to the finish. It has a big draw with the Kenyens entering and winning every year, it has 33K people and it goes off without a hitch.
Average race time was 2:29.53
Number of men 12,418
Numer of Women 12,610

Last updated: 2005-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 8745/33000
Performance: Good
My average HR was 172. At times however, I think it was getting interference from other monitors because I would look down and see some crazy number that I know wasn't correct.
Course: Mostly flat around downtown Indianapolis and into Speedway. We did make one lap around the speedway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-09 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Indy Mini Marathon

2005-05-09 3:08 PM
in reply to: #154922

User image

West Lafayette, Indiana
Subject: RE: Indy Mini Marathon
Nice job on the race. I ended up having a pretty good day as well. What did you think about running on the track? To me it seemed to take forever just to get around it but I thought it was really fun. I took a disposable camera with me and got a bunch of great photos during the race. Some day we will have to actually meet up at all these races we do
2005-05-09 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Great job Jim! Very good time for no training!!!! Looks like you had fun too.
2005-05-09 3:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I had a very fun time with this and to have a kick at the end was just gravy.  I am still shocked that I ran 13.1 miles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indy Mini Marathon Rss Feed