General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to go from here Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-24 5:54 PM

New user

South Jordan, Utah
Subject: where to go from here
I completed my first triathlon last fall (novice distance of a sprint 200y/13m/2m) and I weighed 210 lbs. It was hard to haul that weight around and hope for anything spectacular. So I vowed that if I were to complete any this year it would be at a more reasonable weight. So 11 weeks ago I started adding managed nutrition to my workouts. Amazing what happens when you eat right. I have dropped from 212 and 18.5% fat to 192 and 15%. I would like to drop to somewhere around 185, but need to start gearing my training toward putting together a decent triathlon. I workout 6 days a week, twice on some days, in a variety of ways. I run 4 or 5 times, swim twice, bike or spin 2 or 3 tiimes, lift weight a couple of times, do pilates, and tae kwon do, but don't really have a workout that is geared specifically for tri participation. Would like some ideas from the seasoned veteran on where to go now. My running is one of two: run for fat burn at 60-70% of max hr or run as hard as my joints, muscles and lungs can handle which is usually around 7.5 to 8 min/m. I swim laps in a pool, no intervals or anything, just swim a mile usually around 30 minutes, or 1:35 to 1:50 per 100. Biking is less structured I either just go out for a ride or on a stationary or spin cycle I keep my heart rate at 70 to 85% for 30 to 45 min. Any best way to put these workouts together? or maybe these aren't right. I don't have any gadgets or fancy equipment except I just purchased a hrm because I read that it isn't too good to workout too often above 85 to 90 %, and at age 43, that isn't too awfully high. I am enjoying reading these inputs, but still mostly trying to figure out how it all works.

2004-03-24 11:18 PM
in reply to: #14152

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: where to go from here
Good Work! 
2004-03-24 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Your training looks good and you have made some great progress. Pick one of the programs on the BT site, find a tri to train for and GO FOR IT!!!
2004-03-25 5:52 AM
in reply to: #14232

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
I'm no vet. I still have yet to compete in my first Tri. I just recentely got off the couch and I'm trying to work my fat butt down. I'm 6'3" and I was 250 pounds, 28% body fat. Now a month later I'm 235, but I haven't been measured for body fat since.

Anyway, I'm curious to learn more about you managed nutrition. Can you share some details? My diet plan isn't working out as well as I hoped.
2004-03-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: #14257

New user

South Jordan, Utah
Yo Crash Man...no scientific stuff here, and I wanted to do it without any fancy supplements, replacements or fads, and while I am not hurting for $, hate the thought of spending it on that kind of stuff. So I figured out what my BMR was (did a search for BMR and looked at several ideas for figuring it out), then kept a log of what I ate every day, like I do for my workouts, to test it.
my BMR happens to be around 3600 cal/day. So I just make sure I eat food requiring only 2600 cal/day. 1000 cal deficit per day = 7000 cal deficit per week. 3500 cal deficit roughly equals 1 pound. It is just about right on. I have lost very close to 2 pounds per week for 11 weeks. Some of the major changes required? 1- gave up soda (can't stomach diet) 2- didn't used to eat breakfast, now I do. 3 - gave up late night eating. 4 - eat 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies instead of 2 or 3. 5 - eat more frequently to avoid getting too hungry

Like I said, nothing scientific or costly. Good luck to you
2004-03-25 4:14 PM

New user

Denver, CO
when you do your temp runs (muscles and joints hurting) how long do you go? It might be beneficial to do interval training in place of a tempo run everyweek. A couple of ideas would be 5 x 100 m at 5k pace with a 2:30 jogging or walking rest inbetween with a 15 min warm up and cool down. A fun treadmill workout is to start at a slow pace for a 10 min warm up and then increase the mph by .1 every 2 minutes. You could start at 6.0 (10 min miles) and in 30 mins you are cruising at 7.5 or 8 min miles. It is always good to finish faster than you started (in all three disciplines). One of my fav/torturous workouts is what I call a muscial fartlek. I set my mp3 player on random and after a good warm up I change my pace by each song. As you would in a fartlek (one fast and one slow). I aim to go between my 5k and 10k pace on the fast side and slow to almost a walk on the slow side. This can be a great way to build mileage and not even know it. Also maybe try to do a long slow run each week. This is the best for fat burning. Aim for an hour then look to extend. Also a great way to blow off steam. This isn't very well written but if you have questions you can PM me. I am new to triathlons but have run for a long time so that is the limit to my advice.

2004-03-25 6:00 PM
in reply to: #14362

New user

South Jordan, Utah
Adam..thanks for the ideas...i'll definitely try them. I do the step up on the treadmill occasionally, starting at a slower pace and working up..but the ideas for long runs once in awhile and the intervals are something I'd like to try out...Thanks.

As for the pain...its amazing how much less I hurt with a lighter load to carry.
2004-03-26 10:34 AM
in reply to: #14257

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Anyway, I'm curious to learn more about you managed nutrition. Can you share some details? My diet plan isn't working out as well as I hoped.

What are you doing right now? I can't say that I'm a champ in the eating department, but I've managed to go from eating only 800 calories a day and not losing weight to eating whatever I want (within reason) and decreasing body fat.

I think the key is to keep everything in moderation and focus on keeping your blood sugar levels even. Eat regularly (5 times a day) so you don't bottom out and then binge. Train yourself to recognize when you are and are not hungry. Eat lots of green things (unless the green comes from mold). Feed your body good long-lasting energy - brown rice and bread, not white. Eat a bit of meat. Pay attention to your body's cravings (not to be confused with psychological cravings for food). If you have an insane craving for red meat, have some red meat. Your body may be telling you something. I occasionally get hard core cravings for broccoli, spinach, or lima beans so I figure my body is asking for some sort of nutrient.

Finally, do not expect to have DRAMATIC weight loss. You've lost an average of 3.75 pounds per week, which is right on track. Also, you may very well have lost more than 15 lbs of fat and added a few pounds of muscle. If you can, try to get another body fat reading to see how you're really progressing. But keep in mind that slow weight loss is maintainable weight loss. :-)

You may already by doing all of this, so forgive me if my suggestions are too basic. If you feel you need additional help with food issues, you may want to consult a dietician for advice.

Good luck!
2004-03-26 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
You seem to be doing fairly well in your training. Your bike training, as you say, could be more structured but not knowing you capacity and cycling knowledge. Personally, I only do two bike training session per week. The first session consist of spinning at a high cadence (110-120rpm's) in comfortable gears. The second session consist of spinning at a lower cadence (95-105 rpm's) in higher gears. Both sessions are limited to half an hour; I really see no need to do any more than that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » where to go from here Rss Feed