Canada
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 15m 11s
Overall Rank = 142/210
Age Group = Women 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

My tri buddy Terri was back recovering from IMLP and asked me if she could tag along. I had another bed available in my hotel room so I gladly obliged. Her philosophy is that it sucks to go to races alone so she wanted to be there to cheer. We drove to Kingston on a very sunny Saturday afternoon, stopped at the hotel to check in, went for the bike safety check and race kit pick up. We then drove back to the hotel, had dinner and went back downtown to check out the transition area. Once back at the hotel, we had Terri's traditional pre-race beer (one only for me), watched Russell Peters' "Outsourced" DVD and went to bed.

Next morning... Terri looks out the window and says "Nat, it's pouring out there". I began complaining a little and was told right away to HTFU, lol! Besides, we both raced Muskoka 70.3 in that similar crappy weather last year and survived. The air temperature was warm enough though and I was hoping for the rain to go away during the bike but for it to come back during the run.

We drove to the race site, got the gear out and proceeded in setting up my transition spot. Peter was already there and set up so he stopped by to chat with Terri and I. I went to get my chip and get body marked, put my wetsuit on and to the dock I went waiting to get into the water.
Event warmup:

I warmed up by swimming to the deep water start (about 150m).
Swim
  • 46m 37s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was brutal, Lake Ontario was very choppy and there was a lot of waves. Cobourg last year was nowhere near as bad. I was later asked by some of my fellow triathlon club members what happenend during the swim as the time was definitely not falling within what they are used to see from me.
What would you do differently?:

Can Mother Nature be stopped from acting up on race day?
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Gosh, that wetsuit of mine was stuck all over me!!!! Getting the Great Gazoo helmet and bike shoes on went well on the other hand buuuuutttt... I almost left my timing chip on the ground. I saw it after I unracked my bike. I had to rack the bike back, put the thing on and unrack again. I most likely removed the chip by accident while stripping out of my very clingy wetsuit.

I am asking myself what is the point of buying and putting a load of Body Glide on if I can't still remove the damn clingy thing off? What else can I use? Udderly Smooth Cream? KY? PAM?
Bike
  • 1h 53m 50s
  • 56.2 kms
  • 29.62 km/hr
Comments:

I could have been a lot faster on dry pavement. The first half was good, it had stopped raining and I was averaging 32 km/h before the turnaround. I was having a great ride. On the second half, it began pouring buckets and I even saw lightning. That slowed me down a bit. The rain was stinging my arms at times. I had to leave my wet and foggy bike glasses on as I did not have enough room in my Bento Box to stash them away. Once back to the lift bridge, I was instructed to get off my bike and cross the bridge on the sidewalk as there was an accident involving two or three cars (I was told later on there were bikes involved as well but didn't see any). Needless to say, these two factors affected my bike time.

I will practice mounts with the shoes already clipped in but none of the flying kind.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Just a few problems putting my running socks on my wet feet.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 30m 17s
  • 15 kms
  • 06m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Not much to say other than that I walked the three small but very steep hills; I was much faster walking them! I ran the two long ones without problems. I could have ran into low Z3 right after the first 5 km instead of wating for the last five to pick up the pace.

I could have picked up the pace a little beginning at km #5.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the site, chatted with Peter and Terri, got great post race food for my friend and I, chit chatted with other participants I had not seen for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) The choppy waters of Lake Ontario;
2) my wetsuit;
3) the pouring rain on the bike course;
4) crossing the lift bridge by foot;
5) the three steep hills on the run course.

Event comments:

Ok... I had a post race high until I got back home to check the final results. I was originally given 3rd place in my age group and even got an award for it. Once home, I found out that the results had been revised: I officially was 5th.

As for the race, it's been a tough one physically and mentally and I am proud of the way I have raced. The conditions were less than ideal but I HTFU'd, persevered and managed to get a respectable finish time out of this. I have to thank my friend Terri for allowing me to race with the tri club's colors and her support, she was fantastic!

Me think I will be doing this race again next year and my tri buddy Terri is interested in participating as well. This will be a perfectly placed key race along with Muskoka 70.3 in preparation for IMFL in November 2010. K-Town is a well organized and nice smaller venue with lots of potential for a challenging race (like this year).

Last updated: 2009-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:37 | 2000 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 123/210
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Deep water start about 150m off dock, out into Lake Ontario and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:53:50 | 56.2 kms | 29.62 km/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 126/210
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The bike course is along highway #2. The road is shared with motorized traffic. There is a 3 foot paved shoulder most of the course. The course is rolling hills with gradual and one or two good climbs.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:30:17 | 15 kms | 06m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 166/210
Performance: Average
Course: The run had flat sections with a few steep and long hills. Every 1.5 km had a water station with water, ELoad and sponges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes