Barrie, Ontario
Canada
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = na/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 had prepacked all gear and bike in vehicle and was ready to go. This was the first anniversary of my first triathlon and was really excited about seeing how much I have improved over the past year. Got in the car at 5:30 and got to the race site at 6:30, things were looking a little different, registration was further away from transition and the swim course looked longer. Ah well got checked in and set up transition and even got into my wetsuit early so I could watch the start of the KOS races.
Event warmup:

I decided to get in the water and swim a little bit mostly to get acclimatized to the water temperature, which was cold but, up here we just call that refreshing!
Swim
  • 16m 37s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

very good swim for me felt fantastic, I was right in the middle of things and keeping up with the middle of the pack, started catching the prior wave and about 4 people from the next wave caught me. When I got up to run onto the beach I was a little dizzy but that went away very quickly. This year I was able to run into transition from the water and felt very good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I charged the start, did not get scared, kept a very consistent pace, was breathing appropriately and sighted very well for me. The only thing to do is train more in the swim during the winter and get a coach for technique assistance.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was able to run in and out of transition and transition times are part of the bike segment. I did get held up a little bit getting my wetsuit off my ankles but other than that all went well.
What would you do differently?:

Just work faster.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

And there it was. the rain started, then the thunder and lightning, surprising this didn't bother me, I was ready to go and ready to beat last years time and last year it was my bike time that was very good for me. I went out on loop one and was passing a lot of people and on loop two the same thing. Some people were passing me but usually they had REALLY expensive bikes and disk wheels so it didn't bother me. I was happy I was passing people going on the small uphill that we do on each loop and I was still passing more people on the return down hill. I was feeling great and even had energy in reserve for the run. Then it happened I got a flat just before the turn around of the thrid loop, I tried to pump it up just in case it was a valve problem but no such luck it was a puncture, considering it takes me about 25 minutes to change a tube on the back wheel and it was still thunder and lightning I decided to just walk it back and call it a day. I was sooooooo dissapointed, I velt great and everything was going to plan. Oh well better luck next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Warm down:

The walk back with a flat tire and looking for my wife in the rain.

Event comments:

I think I made the right decision about the DNF, it just wasn't worth the effort to change the tire in the rain on this type of race. I have my first olympic distance race in 5 weeks so I have that to look forward to and I will say my prayers to the tire gods to protect me from flat tires on race day.

Last updated: 2009-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:37 | 700 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: full sleve Zoot
Course: out 50m turn right to bouy and direct back to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: