Windsor Triathlon
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = 60/133
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

sleep early, wake up the very last minute to fight my migraine yesterday.

have a bowl of oatmeal with fruit as usual. eat a energy bar before the race. Drink a LOT A LOT of water (for the migraine sake)

Event warmup:

try not to stretch too much because my left knee is not fully recover yet. get in the water 5 min before the race start. Just swim slowly for a little bit.
Swim
  • 17m 45s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

got a cut by a huge rock under the water. Was bleeding kinna bad. Tried to warn others. I am a slow swimmer so I don't expect to be in the front pack. I feel I am swimming good until I got hit by the choppy wave and breath in water. I am able to stay clam after swallowing the first breath of water this time.

I am surprise I am not doing the zipzag thing today and go around the bouy pretty good. I just need to swim faster.
What would you do differently?:

after drinking water twice in the race, I guess I become "expert" now... Once water get into the lung, it takes extra effort to breath in order to get the same amount of oxygen so you have to breath much harder. So, after breath in water, slow down, catch the breath and make sure not to breath in another mouthful of water before proceed.

For the swim, I need improve my swim by swimming more. I am way too slow.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think I am in slow motion. I need to think about what to do before I even enter T1 next time.

I was:
1. holding the towel do nothing

2. forget to use the heeler

3. unrack the bike incorrectly

too many mistake...

prep better
Bike
  • 1h 04m 45s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

this is the first time they race in this area so I can't really complain. But since its not a close course there are few close calls. Volunteer trying their best to control the traffic. I wish they have better indicator at the end of the first loop so we clearly know to turn back. Better yet, don't do 2 loop :)

I pass many people once I start paddling. That said, many people passed me on some impossible-to-catchup speed with fancy bikes.

At the end of the first loop, I am racing with a guy on a litespeed but I loss him once I need the turnaound of the second loop. (I was confused, unclip my shoes and almost dismount)

I already used up all my energy at the beginning of second loop. My water is running low. I can only average out 20mph with the aid of wind. Luckily I met a guy in AG19 (Adam) and we pass/pace each other. that get my speed pump up a few miles on the way back.

I am happy with my "super aero" position on the road bike (basically just tuck in my arms with my head almost hitting the speedometer). I am able to catch up stronger roadie when the gusting headwind is strong.

too fast on the first loop. I am able to pace around 23mph and 19mph on the way back. The second loop was 20mph and 17mph back. Should have slow down first loop to conserve energy.

Also, study the course
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did flying mount perfectly like a pro this time! no drama, no funny moment nothing dangerous!

I got stop for unstrapping my helmet too early.

And I forget to take off my riding glasses and take a zip of water.

be more organize in T2.
Run
  • 33m 20s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

very hot that day. I was overheated already when I was on the bike. So my plan is to keep my run cool by drinking extra amount of water in every station and use drinking water to cool myself down at every aid station.

I tried not to be so conservative about my left knee because it is a 6k race and I know that I should be recovered by now. However, I still mentally trying to "save" my left knees when running.

Its very nice to run with Janna who pace with me. However, after stopping at every aid station, pacing become booty pacing. Booty pacing become long distance pacing.

I tried to catch up with her after every water station. Successfully in the beginning, but not able to do so after the last water station

spin earlier in the race. I start spinning too late.
Post race
Warm down:

once I stop, my migraine start hitting me. I can feel my whole body is burning. I drink at least 10 cup of water and pure myself with water to cool down.

I walk around mindlessly... feel like throwing up at some point.

once I get my mind back together I get food and eat. feel much better after drinking the whole bottle of Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My excuse will be the migraine attack from yesterday, and my left knee.

The reality will be lacking bike and swim training. Organization for my race (T1 and T2 to be specific) and speedwork for my run. so... basically everything! :)

Event comments:

the bike course is kinna a mess but I can't blame the organizer. City of Windsor was on strike and they have to move the course over in order to proceed. This is the first time they race here. I believe they do very good consider this is the first time they host this course.

Kudo to all the volunteer. Especially the bike course bunch who direct the traffic. (I can see the frustration)

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:45 | 800 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 75/133
Performance: Below average
Suit: naked
Course: triangle. I was a bit worry when there is only one stair to get in / out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:45 | 18.64 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Overall: 67/133
Performance: Average
this includes T1 and T2 time. So I must be faster than that.
Wind: Strong
Course: two loop on riverside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:20 | 03.73 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 48/133
Performance: Good
breathing hard when started
Course: side street. My wife Nancy is one of the volunteer at the corner!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Tim Horton's Windsor Triathlon

2009-08-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2338644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tim Horton's Windsor Triathlon
Nice Job!  No free donuts????? 
2009-08-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2338644

User image

Expert

Good work, Elvin! You were right behind me at the finish line, so that long-distance pacing must not have been for very long distances.

Two things:
- 8:45 for your time?? I think maybe you mean 1:45? Or 1:55:50 if you add up your times, I guess.

- You did not swim naked. :P You didn't have a wetsuit, but I can safely say that you were not naked!

2009-08-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2338986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
ChicagoMan65 - 2009-08-10 12:54 PM Nice Job!  No free donuts?????

Thanks!  Surprisingly there is no free donuts.  No timbit either.  However, there are free coffees and sub from Timmies

trysprintolympic - 2009-08-10 1:58 PM

Good work, Elvin! You were right behind me at the finish line, so that long-distance pacing must not have been for very long distances.

Two things:
- 8:45 for your time?? I think maybe you mean 1:45? Or 1:55:50 if you add up your times, I guess.

- You did not swim naked. :P You didn't have a wetsuit, but I can safely say that you were not naked!

Thank you!  It was long distance at some point when you are a thumb size figure in front of me.   And the time is a typo mistake.  swim naked is a Michigan BT crew joke I started by a stupid question:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=144321&start=245

Good luck in Milton this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tim Horton's Windsor Triathlon Rss Feed