General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 49s
Overall Rank = 23/652
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/26
Pre-race routine:

Thunderstorms woke me up at 2:40, went back to sleep and hoped for the best. Got up at 4:00 ate bagle and banana. Woke up Mary and son Nick and headed out by 5:00. They hate me getting them up so early but that gets us a good parking spot right by the finish with easy exit after.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition I went for a run over the bridge. Starting to get hot because started sweating right away. Potty breaks and headed to swim start.
Swim
  • 06m 31s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year I was in a much later wave so I signed up earlier this year. I was in third wave but was able to get around people without too much trouble and the layout was fast and maybe a little short. Generally very happy with the swim. I'm training for my first full so had to remember how to sprint.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Most races I seem to find something new to make transition interesting. Today I forgot to take my speed suit off. Unzipped and pealed down while running to bike but left it there. Noticed it after on bike but too late to do anything about it so just tucked in strap and kept going.

Think
Bike
  • 45m 16s
  • 16 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Aside from the extra layer with my suit on the bike went quite well. Got passed by a few as expected but kept a pretty good pace for me. Only issue was where oly and sprint split. I came up on a gal so held back for the corner as I didn't know which way she was heading. Even with pre race maps and the signs on course she slowed way down to ask which way for sprint. A local farmer must have been spreading recently so road slick, tapped my rear brake and slid a bit but nothing too serious, just enough to get my attention.

Remember to take off swim wear
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Took a little long to take suit off and my insert in my left shoe bunched up so had to mess with that. I really try to have quick transitions so frustrating when things don't go smooth but overall still a good time.
Run
  • 21m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my best run of 08 here so really wanted to push the pace. It was getting hot but didn't seem too bad yet. Probably worse for later waves. Was able to pass quite a few people, some seemed to be having trouble with heat probably because it has been such a cool summer so far. I tried to avoid the shade because it will be a lot hotter in Louisville in a few weeks. Anyway mostly uneventful but was dying to see split. I have never averaged beloy 7 minute miles so was very happy to come in just under. Please don't tell me it was short!

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I checked my watch and couldn't believe the time. Last year 1:17 and this year 1:14:49. The swim was faster and was a little faster on the bike but overall very pleased. My first placing at a Midwest event after about a dozen tries.

Event comments:

The best part of the weekend is that my son Nick took second in his age group on Saturday! His first tri trophy. To watch him have so much fun I'm sure motivated me to do my best on Sunday. Overall a great weekend.

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:31 | 481 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 0/652
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy speed suit
Course: They changed the angle which eliminated alot of the sun glare coming back. Water start out and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:16 | 16 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/26
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: good condition, mostly flat
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46.5
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:36.3 | 03.11 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/26
Performance: Good
Course: Over a bridge then residential out and back, mostly flat and fast.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes