View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Rosa, California
United States
Total Time = 12h 02m 18s
Overall Rank = 112/683
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/99
Pre-race routine:

It was a battle getting to the starting line. I drove out to California as part of a family vacation. Planned for the week after the race. I left Minneapolis on tuesday before the race with my destination being Anaheim by thursday and Napa by Friday afternoon.

We had famliy member that was going to pass on any day. So we had to stop by and pay our respects since we would not attend the funeral. I dropped my wife of to visit her grandmother who was under hospice care. Being in Anaheim I went and got a motel room near disneyland and took my kids to disneyland until midnight thursday while my wife stayed with her family at the retirement home. Got up at 5am friday morning and drove to the expo in Windsor than to the hilton garden inn and went to bed. It had been a long week.
Event warmup:

Got up at 4am for normal prerace routine. Coffee, Breakfast, tiolet. Felt rested and ready.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 30s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had planned on wearing my speedsuit for the swim. At the last minute rented one from wetsuitrentals.com. I am glad I did. It was my first time wearing a sleeveless wetsuit. I like them much better than the full suit.

I really enjoyed the swim. Only got hit once my googles got knocked off my face during the second loop. Overall I improved from last ironman swim so I was please with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

I did not care for the gravel transition.
Bike
  • 6h 07m 19s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt terrible the first 20 miles of the bike. The road was rough and my legs felt tired. I guess that is what happens when you spend 3 days in the car and one day walking around disneyland 2 days before the race.

After about an hour my legs felt better and I was rolling. Chalk Hill was a ok at mile 44, but the second time thru it was tough. I rode the last 2 miles on my front tire slowy losing air pressure. It was flat by the time I reached T2. Left it flat and change for the run.

Once again a small improvement on the bike from my last IM.
What would you do differently?:

Drive the bike course before the event. I usally drive the course at least one time before a race. I was unable to time constraints.
Transition 2
  • 03m 44s
Run
  • 4h 32m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was tough. The three loops out and back was terrible. I even dislike the 2 loop MDOT courses. I like the point to point courses best. I just took one loop at time and kept moving. My only goal was to beat my previous IM run time of 4:47. Which I did. But the Ironman marathon is tough compared to a standalone. I am just glad the weather was cool on race day.
Post race
Event comments:

Vineman was a well run event. I rellay like the cost compared to IM/WTC events. The course is tough and there are some rough roads out there on the bike. Up next Wisconsin. I think that will be my lsat IM for awhile. I will stick with HIM and olympic. Overall an almost 28 minute PR and a success.

Last updated: 2009-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:30 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: