General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie with questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-24 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Another newbie with questions...
OK, so I've been running for a couple of years, more off than on (when it snows, it's SO much better to be skiing than running!) A few years back, I got a wild hair, and competed in a bodybuilding contest and didn't do too bad. Lately, I've been sensing another wild hair...I just HAVE to do a tri, just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Got the shoes, got a bike, going to start hitting the pool to swim seriously (not just float along). I'm eyeing one of two tris at the end of August (already running about 2.5 miles x 3 or 4 times a week), and I'll rapidly build to biking a lot now that the weather has warmed up.

My first question, as I'm sure that I'll have more, is just what the heck will I be doing at the swim to bike transition point? I've never even watched a tri, so I'm lost. Is there a changing room or tent? Should I just spend the money to get a suit that I can do all three events in? Why do I get these wild hairs every couple of years?

Thanks, in advance!

2004-03-25 12:04 AM
in reply to: #14223

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Another newbie with questions...
Hi joe welcome to the site!
when you get out of the water you will have a short run to the bike compond (usually just a large grass or concreted area baracaded off with many long racks to hang your bike) where you must locate your bike (very important - its quite easy to forget so make sure you remember where it is). you can have your bike hung over the bar by the seat or brake levers.
Have a towel on the ground next to your bike to dry/clean your feet
once in the transition you must do the following:
1) take off goggles, cap, wetsuit
2) put on a shirt/singlet (if torso not already covered) or race number bib. Put your shoes on if not clipped on the bike
3) PUT YOUR HELMET ON before you unrack your bike - or you are likely to get busted!
4) unrack your bike and push it to the mount line where you can mount it and get riding!
if your shoes are clipped on the bike, get your momentum with your feet on top of the shoes, shen slip them in

I think thats pretty much it but im bound to have forgotten something. you should be fine

goodluck,
aidan
2004-03-25 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

try this...may offer some insight...

transition OR try t1/t2 on the main site...try doing a 'search' in the forums...i think we have talked about this before.  a lot of times it will just depend on the facilities so knowing how the race site is set up (email the director) can help u plan.  or it will depend on how comfortable u really want to be, money to spend on clothing and how good u really want your transition time to be.

2004-03-25 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hi Joe--

You definitely won't be going into a changing area... although I'm sure there will be a few porta-potties available, but honestly, who wants to be naked in one of those??!? Besides, there could be lines etc.

Follow Ron's links, I'm sure they'll be helpful. But pro-rider was really wise in saying the first thing of import is to remember the location of your bike!! You wouldn't think that would be so difficult, but everything looks so da** similar!!

:-)

Welcome to the site and, really, no question is unnecessary here!!

Dana
2004-03-26 8:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Aiden is so right about finding your bike. At one of my daughter's first triathlons, we got there early (read dark) and racked her bike and set up her transition. When race time rolled around, the sun was up, there were a ton more bikes and everything looked different! Little missie had a hard time finding her bike and wasted lots of time searching for it, not to mention the emotional distress it caused. Now we arrive early, rack bike and set up transition. Then just before the start, she goes back in and gets her bearings in the full transition area. This has really helped her, as she usually ranks in the top 10% overall for transitions.
2004-03-26 9:54 AM
in reply to: #14397

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

At some races (usually a Danskin), I've seen people tie helium ballons to their bike so they can find it easier.  You may want to check with the RD if that's something you want to do because there are some who do not allow ballons into the transition area.  I don't know what it matters, and it's kinda cool to see them when you make your way back there.

2004-03-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #14555

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I LOVE balloons! I wonder if they'd let me ride the whole way with a balloon! I could even carry it on the run! That would be SO COOL! Maybe a bright red one, or one with a big smiley face...

Wow, now you've got me thinking, and there's a ton of ideas popping into my mind: some bright streamers from my handlebars (those pom-pom thingys) or a bright orange safety flag like I had about 30 years ago. A little horn so I could honk when I pass someone!

If life isn't fun, you're taking it too seriously...
2004-03-27 5:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another newbie with questions... Rss Feed