General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon (1/8th IM) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon (1/8th IM) - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
ONURLEFT SPORTS
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 38s
Overall Rank = 398/600
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 60/65
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:50am and out the door by 5:20. Packed everything the night before, to avoid running around at the last minute. Ate a bananna and a granola bar along with water on the drive up to NW Houston.
Event warmup:

Set up bike and gear, talked with some friends, stretched and then swam across lake to the starting area.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 482 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasn't nervous about the swim. I've spent enough time in all types of water so its not a factor. But, I've never raced outside of a pool. I lined up at the front of the pack and stayed up at the front for 3/4 of the way, but went harder than I needed at the start and died at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on pacing outside of the pool. Next time, I'll draft for the majority of the swim and then pick up the pace towards the end. No problems with sighting, etc.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Put the shoes and helmet on, grabbed the bike and then stood around a bit trying to figure out if I'd forgotten anything.

Just go. I'm sure this will improve with experience.
Bike
  • 52m 13s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been neglecting the bike in the month leading up to the race and paid the price for it. I didn't expect to be setting any speed records, but thought that I would be able to average a decent pace. Started out that way, but it didn't last long. Then it was just painful. Felt like I wasn't making any progress, and the fact that I got passed constantly didn't help. I only passed two people - both who stopped because of mechanical issues - and they promptly passed me again before I could get off of the bike.

Get out and ride more often and spend more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

All I needed to do was rack the bike, helmet off and switch shoes. But legs weren't moving, thus slow transition time. My legs were spent, so I knew I was in trouble for the run.
Run
  • 42m 18s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know how to describe it, other than it just sucked. Really sucked. I'm not a runner, but had been making progress over the last four months. But neglecting the bike was a recipe for doom. Didn't have any issues with cramping, just nothing in my legs to move forwards. Ended up alternating between walking and running throughout the course. Towards the end, just focused on making it accross the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and was glad to be done. Justin (Trin2bfast) was volunteering and had called out my name as I finished, but didn't even hear him. Grabbed some orange slices and drank water. Congratulated Spidey on his 3rd AG place, gathered my stuff and hit the road as soon as transition opened up. Got home and life resumed as normal - shopping trip with the kids, cleaned up house and then to an afternoon dinner reception for faculty/residents at one of Beverly's attending house along with the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness level, poor racing strategy, lack of experience, etc.

Event comments:

First race, so nothing to compare it to. But, any questions or issues seemed to have already been addressed by the organizers. Started on time and was nicely supported. I'll look forward to doing it again next year.

On one hand, I thought that I'd do better, based on advances made in each of the separate components. Putting them altogether, however, is a different story. Learned a lot of lessons which will be incorporated over the next several months. I'll do some more races and will adjust accordingly if needed.

Despite the difficult day, I enjoyed the experience. Lots of good people out there and I was glad to be a part of it. I'm also pleased with the improvements I've made this year, all while dealing with work and family demands. I also realize that I've still got a long way to go.

Last updated: 2009-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 482 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/65
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:13 | 14 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/65
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:18 | 03.3 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/65
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-11 3:36 PM

Regular
Newport Beach
Subject: Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon (1/8th IM)

2009-08-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2342258

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon (1/8th IM)
Jota, great job completing a tri!  Next year you will see improvment and that is what it is all about....setting goals and improving.  Congrats again on completing your first triathlon!
2009-08-11 7:50 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Way to go Triathlete!
2009-08-11 9:36 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
CONGRATS TRIATHLETE!!!  Don't stress the detail of this one!  You learned a lot and had fun, that's all that matters.  Just don't go beating me up too much at the next one!  Great to see you out there!  Hopefully see you again soon. 
2009-08-12 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Again, great job!  You are an official TRIATHLETE!!!  I celebrated with a bumper sticker.  The world needs to know how tough we are
2009-08-12 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You made it!!!  That is what matters.  You SUCCEEDED!!!  The objective of the first tri is to finish and you did that.  Try and enjoy that moment and know that you are better armed for the next one!!!

Edited by dewcubs 2009-08-12 12:06 PM

2009-08-13 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Great swim man!  Yeah, you didn't do as well as YOU wanted the rest of the race, but your dedication and perserverence are a great example for your family.

And you're officially a triathlete!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon (1/8th IM) Rss Feed