General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Half Vermont Journey : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-12 9:55 AM

User image

Johnstown, NY
Subject: Half Vermont Journey : Official Thread

Who's in?

Also, anyone do this race before?  I've looked at elevation profiles and everything, what can I expect from this course?

2009-08-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2343638

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: RE: Half Vermont Journey : Official Thread
Never did the race, but rode the corse last week.

Bike - All rolling hills, nothing really bad until you head back to transition there is one hill.  (I am comparing it to upstate NY, much easier then anything I train on)  One thing is that most of ride the there were no trees to block the wind, so a windy day could be tough.

Run - Same, rolling hills nothing major.  Seemed to be shaded, so not much running in the sun. 
2009-08-18 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I may be doing this on a relay team. I haven't seen the course, but I did a century nearby and it was really nice. You're right on the edge of the mountains so the terrain is rolling with nothing too steep or challenging. I'm the runner on the team, but may pay extra to do the swim as well. If it's half as nice as it looks in the photos I really would hate to be there and miss it!
2009-08-18 7:19 PM

New user

I rode the coarse today or atleast one loop of it and it was really windy. There was a 10-15mph wind coming from the south that just really sucked the life out of me after the first turn around all the way to the southern turn around. I also rode the run coarse. Like they are saying it is rolling. Nothing that will really kill your momentum...well some of the dirt roads have pretty steep sections. I ran 4 miles out and 4 miles back. It is 60% shaded but when you hit a sunny spot it is really hot.

The park by the way has more mosquitos then there are ppl in vermont. Even the rest room was swarming with them so be sure to bring alot of bug spray.
2009-08-20 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2356926

User image

Upstate NY
Were you there the same day I was, or are the conditions the same every day. LOL

That is my experience exactly, right down to the killer mosquitos in the park!

Looks like it should be a good race, can't wait!

trimcnulty - 2009-08-18 8:19 PM I rode the coarse today or atleast one loop of it and it was really windy. There was a 10-15mph wind coming from the south that just really sucked the life out of me after the first turn around all the way to the southern turn around. I also rode the run coarse. Like they are saying it is rolling. Nothing that will really kill your momentum...well some of the dirt roads have pretty steep sections. I ran 4 miles out and 4 miles back. It is 60% shaded but when you hit a sunny spot it is really hot. The park by the way has more mosquitos then there are ppl in vermont. Even the rest room was swarming with them so be sure to bring alot of bug spray.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Half Vermont Journey : Official Thread Rss Feed