General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike or mountain bike for a newbie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-12 4:23 PM

New user

Subject: Road bike or mountain bike for a newbie?
Hello all,

I am buying a new bike this year, and I am debating on whether a road bike or a mountain/cross country bike will be better for me. I will race a maximum of three races this season, hopefully one try-a-tri and two sprints. But I also need a bike to take me to school and possibly take with me when I go camping. I know that a road bike is designed for speed and road conditions, while a mountain bike is good fro gravel an off road conditions and is therefore heavier. I am not racing to get the top placements, but rather for completion and showing myself what I can do (and my family/freinds), so would a road bike really make that much of a difference for me? Please advise and maybe give me some ideas if there is a bike that is good for both ( wouldnt that be nice?)...

Thanks, Zoya

2005-05-12 4:31 PM
in reply to: #156719

User image

T1
Subject: RE: Road bike or mountain bike for a newbie?
Plenty of people ride mountain bikes during sprints. If you are planning on just doing some sprints and maybe an Olympic, I say stick with the mountain bike only because you are planning on taking it camping. If I was facing this decision, I would look at where the bike would get the most use. Road bikes are faster and are great for triathlons and cycling, but if you are planning on using the bike off road at all, I, IMHO, would go with the mountain bike.
2005-05-12 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Cyclocross bike maybe??
Depending on how technical you want to get off the road, a CX bike might be just the ticket. Put 700x23 tires on it and it's a road bike, put 29x2.2' s on it and it is an adaquate off-road machine.
lemond poprad
trek xo1
surly cross-check
redline conquest
bianchi and cannondale also make them and lots of other makers too

2005-05-12 4:45 PM

Regular
New York, NY
Unless you are going camping every weekend, I would get the road bike, since you'll be riding for training multiple times a week. I did about 3 months of training on a hybrid and found it really frustrating. I've just bought a new road bike and although I haven't taken it home from the bike shop yet, I know just from my test rides that the pleasure and ease of riding is SO much greater.
2005-05-12 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
I see a lot of people on mountain bikes....they are the only ones I can pass.

But honestly....I ride a road bike and I think it's SLOWWWW.....It's just amazing how much faster you can go in the aero position....

What's more important is how you feel AFTER the ride....when you have to start running.....

I'll be doing a minimum on my road bike and will just have to get a tri specific bike.

I did my usual brick yesterday on my road bike as opposed to my old tri set up....and I got my butt kicked on the ride and the run.....even people normally slower than me were passing me up with ease.

But...I bought my road bike for the long haul....

Edited by Cmikul 2005-05-12 4:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike or mountain bike for a newbie? Rss Feed