Set-Up, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 20s
Overall Rank = N/A/
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Note: I did this as a relay with a guy from my tri team. I did the swim and run legs and he did the bike leg.
Pre-race routine: drove down to Luray on Friday after work, had dinner with the team.
Event warmup:

Drove to race site, had bagel w/ pb&j at the team tent, stretched a bit, etc. I haven't been able to run much at all in the past month or so due to whatever is wrong with my shin. So I wasn't expecting amazing times today, just a weekend to have fun with my team.
Swim
  • 30m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The relays were in the last wave with the older Men, the Novice men and the Clydes/Master Clydes. So me among a sea of really big dudes. But I held my own very well, I thought. I pushed a decent pace, since I'd never actually "raced" this distance before, and had to swim the next day as well. Didn't get kicked or punched or smacked, passed a lot of people, and eventually caught up to and passed a bunch of people from the previous waves. My sighting is getting much better, and I never hit any traffic jams where I had to stop and breaststroke. I caught up with one of the bigger guys on my team and stayed with him for the last 3rd of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Just keep getting faster. The one thing I don't like about OWS is that the times reflect the time it takes to slog out of the water and up to the transition mat, which was over on the beach. So my actual swim time was less than 30 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

The long haul across the beach, up the stairs and to the very end of the transition area makes the T1 time a little slow. Quick pass off to Tom, my cyclist and I could relax and go change and warm-up.

Nothing. Going faster up the stairs would have been tricky. Wood + water = slick!
Bike
  • 1h 32m 20s
  • 25 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Beats me - Tom rode it, I didn't :) I'm glad for that! He said he felt good about the ride, looked solid coming back into transition.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Quick and easy - grab the timing chip and run!
Run
  • 59m 23s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering that I haven't been able to run much in a month so lacked some fitness on a pretty hilly course, it was HOT out and I'm not acclimated to the heat right now, and I've been injured so haven't run more than 2 or 3 miles at a time, I still managed to pull off a 10K PR by about 10 seconds. I took it pretty easily, since the course is challenging, I've been injured and I had to run again the next day. Just had a good time cheering on fellow teammates as I saw them. The second loop of the course was a little rough, mentally. I walked in a couple spots just to save energy, but tried to make up for it on the downhills. Coming into the park, I finished strong.

Um, not get injured and lose fitness and heat acclimation :) Really, I'm happy with what I did, considering all the things working against me.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, went to the Team Z tent and ate some tasty food :) Had half a beer, chatted with friends, saw non-Z friends Jeff and David and chatted with them a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being injured and not able to run much for about a month weakened my run a bit, but still happy.

Event comments:

Set-up did a good job with this one. TONS of volunteers for this race. And plenty of water. I know that they were starting to run out in some spots, but I saw people delivering extra water. It was a hot day and a lot of people were dumping more water on their heads than drinking.
Fun times with my team - Tom and I did a good job :)

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Weird Pac-man shape around Lake Arrowhead.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:20 | 25 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 20/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I've ridden it before - it's hilly. Seriously.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:23 | 06.2 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 20/
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops of an out and back course. A few gradual climbs, and a false flat or two. Nothing to sniff at but not ridiculous if you're in good running shape.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes