Set Up Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 17/17
Pre-race routine:

Note: I did this as a relay with a woman from my tri team. I did the swim and run, and she did the bike.

Event warmup:

The usual - had breakfast with the team, stretched out my sore muscles from the day before. My cyclist Dianne showed up REALLY REALLY late and she hadn't signed her waiver so we had to rush around to get her set up.
Swim
  • 16m 55s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim - was expecting better, though. But overall time also reflects getting out of the water and running to the timing mat. Swim was definitely faster than 2:00/100yds. I also got a little slowed down towards the end, as there was a traffic jam of slower women that the front of our wave had caught up to, and had to navigate all the breaststroking and floundering people. I might have been tired from the day before too.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Get stronger and faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Same long haul up the stairs and through to the end of transition. Gave my chip to Dianne, and done.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 9.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I DIDN'T RIDE THIS LEG. Dianne did - she's not a very strong cyclist. And that course is tough if you are not.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I stood for a long time in T2 waiting. She said she expected to be back in an hour and 20. Which is slow, but she ended up being slower. I was worried she'd gotten a flat, but she finally showed up!
Run
  • 28m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run. It was hotter on Sunday than on Saturday for the Oly. Plus, I was sore from the Oly and all of the crap leading up to these races. Since I had to wait so long, I was among the last of the BOP'ers, and I just picked them off like target practice. I felt kinda bad, since they were all toasted from the ride and here I am just trotting along on fairly fresh legs. The best part about being towards the back is all the extra water - and the kids who throw it at you! That was awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured and be in better shape. But I didn't plan on trying to PR here, just to go out for an easy run to finish strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some Gatorade, went back to the tent and ate some food. Chatted with people. Helped pack up the tent stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, being injured, etc.

Event comments:

So, we didn't break any time goals with this relay. But Dianne had told me that she'd be slow and the nice thing about the relay format is that there's WAY less pressure to "win". You just go out and do your thing. And it's fun to help teammates get into things - Dianne doesn't race much, I guess, so it was nice that she was able to come out. So even though our relay team finished DFL, it doesn't really matter to me. I did what I came to do on my two legs, so that's what I care about.

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:55 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:43:40 | 16 miles | 9.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/17
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Hilly.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:49 | 03.11 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Performance: Good
Course: Same out and back from yesterday. Long gradual climbs and some false flats
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 7:50 AM

Subject: Luray Sprint Triathlon

2009-08-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2352534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: RE: Luray Sprint Triathlon
Nice job, I have wanted to do a realy just as you did. I would like to do the swim and run and have someone else bike. Congrats on a very nice swim and run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed