Tuxedo Brothers
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 282/463
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/28
Pre-race routine:

No routine just winged it. Got up had a almond butter and some pita bread. Arrived at the venue and got the bike ready. Broke the valve stem on the rear prior to the race. Had to change that real quick and later realized I had forgotton to re-set the brake on the rear. This would explain the unusually soft rear braking during the event. Will do a better bike check next time.
Swim
  • 14m 7s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first time ever swimming in "open water" even if it was a narrow canal. I way underestimated how hard this would be go straight. I thought at first if I just stayed in the back of my group I could just go and relax and swim. I was faster than most of my group so I kept catching them and since I can't spot very well and I could not see more than a few inches in front. I kept running into them and getting kicked. At one point I was swimming up on someones left not realizing it and enhaled all of the water from their wake on the kick. ughh.

I drift left pretty bad in a pool and I tried to manage it in the canal but I just kept going that way and hitting my hand on the bottom or running into the side. My family, god bless them, were walking with me the whole way and trying to guide me but I could not hear anything in the water. I tried once to correct it and ended up swimming perpendicular to the course and ran into the opposite wall. I eventually just gave up on my 10 minute swim goal and just did whatever stroke I felt like until I got to the finish. Once I decided I would not make 10 and relaxed I had a pretty good time. Ended up at 14 minutes for the swim so not nearly as bad as I had thought.

Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

I am not sure why I put cycling gloves on and this probably cost me about 30 seconds or more. Seemed to make sense at the time but I won't do that again. I put my sock on upside down so that the heel was on top. Had to remove and put on again but now it was wet and this took what seemed like forever.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear cycling gloves and check socks position in shoe.
Bike
  • 43m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The out was smooth with very few road bumps or imperfections. After the turnaround and coming down the opposite side of the waterway it was terrible. 2 sets of rough railroad tracks and lots of bumps, potholes and just overall rough roads.

Passed lots of people and got passed by lots of people on decked out tri bikes.

I kept a pretty good cadence and did not push too hard. I should have upped it one gear and tried to keep the same cadence. This would have maybe added 1 MPH to my speed. I don't really know but I just felt a little guilty at the end of the bike like I had not pushed hard enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

This was pretty uneventful. Dismount was good and I was able to run back to the rack without much trouble. Bike was racked and shoes on with pretty good time.
Run
  • 34m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was pleasent and I was feeling pretty good. Somewhere around that first mile marker the sun came out and it got hot. My face felt like it was inside a toaster oven. I grabbed 2 waters at this station and dumped one on my head and tried to drink the other. I suck at running and drinking. I just end up spilling it everywhere and get frustrated and throw it out.

Once I got to the turnaround and began heading back I got some much needed relief from the sun as it was at my back. Passed several people on the way back which felt pretty good since I rarely ever pass anyone.

Nothing...I am am going to be working on distance and speed over the winter. I felt pretty good about this run being that it was the only the second time I have run an event of any type.
Post race
Warm down:

My brother started about 20 minutes or so behind me so I met my family at the finish and then hung out with them for a bit and waited for him to cross. Used that time to get a good stretch and cool down.

Event comments:

The volunteers did a great job on the bike course warning of sharp turns and dangerous railroad crossings.

I can't wait for this event next year and hopefully by then I will have figured out how to swim in a straight line.

Goals
Swim: 10 Minutes -- 4 Minutes Off
T1: 4 Minutes -- 2:59 Picked up a minute
Bike: 43 Minutes -- 43:59 Goal Met!!!
T2: 2 Minutes -- 1:39 Goal Met!!!
Run: 33 Minutes -- 34:13 Will work on it.

Total time goal 1:32
Actual: 1:36 This is mostly because of I underestimated the swim navigation. I can work on that and fix it. Next year I am hoping to hit around 1:20.

Last updated: 2009-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:07 | 547 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/28
Overall: 262/463
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: In a canal that runs through downtown Indy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:55 | 12.43 miles | 16.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/28
Overall: 257/463
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back that was pretty flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average