General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 USMS 2-Mile Cable National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2009 USMS 2-Mile Cable National Championship - Swim2 mile Cable

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Placid, New York
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 52s
Overall Rank = 54/141
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Swim
  • 52m 52s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the US Masters National Championship. Some very speedy folks out there, including OA 1 and 2, who raced side by side for the entire distance and finished in 41 minutes. I was there to see how I stacked up, and whether I could still swim 2 miles straight with no breaststroke mixed in to make things easier (mission accomplished). Secretly was coveting a sub-50 minute finish, but I could see from my watch at the 1-mile mark (26:20) that wasn't going to happen. The good news is that I hit pretty much the same time for mile 2 (26:32).

Sighting and navigation were harder than they should have been. You just follow the cable to the end and back and repeat four times, right? But foggy goggles, bright sun, and general hypoxia had me swerving around a bit, especially in mile 2 when fatigue was a factor. I was absolutely lousy at the turnaround buoys, but that's not a skill I've practiced before, so no wonder. Gave away big time there, unfortunately.

Considering I haven't swum that far in almost 20 years, I'm pleased with my splits and overall time, but finishing last in my AG (4/4) was humbling. The previous weekend I was first out of the water for my AG (1/14) at a local sprint tri. Bigger pond this time around, and bigger (speedier) fish, too.

Very pleasant event in a beautiful setting (same lake where IMLP is held). Perfect weather for the weekend and a bunch of nice folks, too.

This concludes my race season. There are a couple more local events I had my eye on, but we're getting ready to have a baby next month, so there are other things to do right now.

To quote Waterdog: "Train well, peeps."
What would you do differently?:

Should have practiced the 180 degree maneuver at the turnaround buoys.
Post race

Last updated: 2009-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:52 | 3520 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 54/141
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuits
Course: Four times up and down a 1/4 mile cable (underwater) marked by buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-18 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: 2009 USMS 2-Mile Cable National Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 USMS 2-Mile Cable National Championship Rss Feed