Tuxedo Brothers
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 13m 28s
Overall Rank = 350/493
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/54
Pre-race routine:

Well, I was lucky and got a deal through Hotwire.com to stay at the University Place hotel on the IUPUI campus just two blocks from the transition area. Sweet! Actually rode my bike to the start.

All the other downtown hotels were packed with some of the 30,000 folks attending the GenCon conference. That's a gaming conference for those of you not in the know. And let me tell you, if you were walking around downtown the day before the race, you were presented with the distinct image of what the future holds for mankind. Think Wall-E's futuristic spaceship where EVERYTHING is automated, and even the people themselves are carted around on little hovercraft because they're so . . . .

Oops, wasn't trying to turn this RR into a social commentary . . .

So anyway, got my first real decent night's sleep pre-race. Woke up, showered, and had a Payday ($3 from the scheisters down in the lobby).

Got to the transition area at a decent time and scored a spot on the end of the rack. Took time to appreciate the venue, right in front of the NCAA hall of champions, the Indiana State Museum, and the Indianapolis Zoo.
Event warmup:

The swim was a point-to-point in the canal, so we had to walk the 1500m to the start. Then just waded into the warm-up area and tried to remain calm. Surprisingly, it was working this time, probably because I was not planning on setting any record times or anything.
Swim
  • 35m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first olympic distance race. My first wave start (okay, they were "mini" waves, but still). What really helped to keep from getting anxious was the knowledge the canal was only 4 feet deep.

And actually, by the time they got to my wave, I was actually feeling rather confident - very weird. I had seeded myself as a "slightly below average" swimmer, so I had fun looking at the other below average folks.

Just before the start, I decided, since no one else was doing it, to take the front-middle position, like I'm Michael Phelps all of a sudden.

Then the announcer counted down, said "Go!", and we were off.

And it wasn't that bad!

In the first 200m a few others and I had separated from the wave, and from that point forward there were no issues with any crowded swimming. I was able to get in a rythmn and it began to feel like just a normal training swim.

It was really fun hearing the cheers of family members that were able to walk alongside their swimmer the whole way.

It was also really cool to swim under the numerous bridges and walkways. Totally changed the atmosphere of the swim for a few seconds each time. Felt like Venice . . . except it was Indianapolis.

And then I was at the sprint start and knew I only had 500m left. I was starting to get a cramp in my right calf, but I focused on good form, and no over-kicking, and was able to limit it reasonably well.

Got out of the water feeling reasonably strong.

Random Thoughts During the Swim:
1. So this is what Indianpolis folks do with their goldfish when they get tired of them.
2. Poor ducks that enjoy calm water 364 days a year. Must of thought it was Armageddon.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I can only hope to continue to get faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Umm, yeah, what the heck was I doing? Admiring the view? Maybe I was just startled because for the first time, most of the bikes in the racks around me were still there.

Oh yeah, maybe leave the gloves at home, and learn to ride sockless.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out thinking, "Wow, so this is what a flat bike route feels like!"

Okay, it was flat in terms of elevation, but the conditions of the roads were simply deplorable. Chock full of potholes, gravel, and glass, and with two bumpy, non-perpendicular railroad track crossings. I saw more folks fixing flats than I've ever seen on a course before. I stopped counting at 20.

Also saw the result of one guy biting it on one of the track crossings. His back was simply shaved right off. Looked like a pizza waiting for toppings. (TMI?)

Was up to almost 19mph a third of the way through the second loop. Then the wind and the heat kicked up, and I slowed down significantly the rest of the way.

I think I handled nutrition pretty well. One GU 2 miles in, and another at ~mile 16. Alternated between water and gatorade.

Coming towards the bike finish, I knew the run was not going to be fun.

Dismounted okay, and my back, surprisingly, wasn't hurting THAT MUCH (usually can't straigten all the way up immediately). Maybe the 1000mg of Ibuprofen helped.

Random Toughts During the Bike:
1. Holy potholes batman! Indy, stop spending all your money on Lucas Oil Stadium and get the public works folks out there to pave a few streets whydontcha.
2. Is that ANOTHER rear disc wheel passing me? Oh good, it's just a jet passing overhead.
3. I HATE the guy that just passed me on a hardtail MTB.

As usual, more T.I.T.S.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

So, I realize that starting 400 positions back caused me to be in the last group of bikes on course (well, there were still PLENTY on course), but as I get to my rack, there's a couple of gals just nonchalantly hanging around it.

As I approach them the fail to move, so I yell, with much race-induced adrenaline, "HEY! There's a race going on you know!"

Oh, that'll teach them.

They did get out of the way, but not without glaring at me.

You know, just stop lolly-gagging around.
Run
  • 1h 09m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My the time I got to the run it was in the mid to high eighties, with copious humidity. I made it just over a mile, to the first water stop, before I had to take a walk break.

And I just kept getting slower. At the end of the loop, there was a little girl volunteering , maybe 9 or 10, that was directing me to head right to go out on the second loop. As I turned, she took off like a rabbit, obviously demonstrating how much faster she was than I, and beat me to the bridge. Put a smile on my face, and I told her she was really, really fast. She said, "Yeah, but I'm not running as far as you are!"

Huh, pretty sweet.

I took some comfort on the second loop, that nearly everyone else still on course was in the same predicament. We were ALL suffering, and misery loves company. I kept passing a guy who would pass me, and then seize up with cramps in his legs. The first time it happened, I made sure he wasn't having a heart attack. It became old hat after that.

With a mile to go, I was finally able to slowly pick back up the pace. I was disappointed not finish sub 3hrs, but also wasn't surprised. I just didn't have the necessary run volume in place.

Random Thought During the Run:
1. Okay, so it's kind of cool to be running behind the zoo, but holy animal piss batman. It sure smelled like the monkey cages hadn't been cleaned in a while. Just what I want to smell as I'm starting the run . . . and the second loop.

More run volume.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty light-headed just as I finished, so I found a chair under the food tent, grabbed a water, and sat down to collect myself. I was wasted . . .

And then I remembered . . . I rode to the race . . . and I'll need to ride back.

So I took off my shirt (yeah, I'm THAT manly) and packed everything back into the backpack, and headed back to the hotel. The breeze I was able to generate felt pretty darn good, but not as good as the cool shower I was able to take before checking out.

Then got the car and drove 2.5 hrs home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidty, but mainly just level of fitness. It will progress.

Event comments:

A great event at a terrific downtown venue put on by the Tuxedo Brothers. That canal swim was fun and unique, and I'll definitely do this one again. Maybe the City can get some paving done before then.

Last updated: 2009-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:38 | 1500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 43/54
Overall: 333/493
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: This will be the first time that the downtown Indianapolis canal will be utilized for a swimming venue and the first time a triathlon has started and finished in downtown Indy! According to USA Triathlon this may be the very first of its kind in the country! This 'newly cleaned canal' venue is sure to please most all swimmers. The canal is about 40 feet wide. Both the Olympic Distance event and the Sprint event will be a point to point swim. Faster swimmer will go first with slower swimmer going in the final waves. Be sure to check your swimming ability when you enter. The depth of the canal is 4 feet deep. Each swim wave will consist of about 30 people with 2 minutes between waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:50 | 24.85 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/54
Overall: 321/493
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Come ride thru a scenic and fairly flat 12.5 mile loop (Olympic Distance will do 2 loops) This course will loop you through some downtown street, along White River, along Riverside Parkway and parts of IUPUI. Expect great volunteer and police protection along the way.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:09:09 | 06.21 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/54
Overall: 374/493
Performance: Below average
Course: The run course will have your running along side the White River from Celebration Plaza up to 10th Street and them back along the other side of the river - the course is flat and fast. Distance of the course is 3.1 miles (Olympic Distance does 2 loops) Expect a water/Gatorade station every mile along the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-19 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: Tri Indy

2009-08-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2358562

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Tri Indy
Wow, the swim sounds great, especially in a canal and people can walk along and cheer.  You had a great time in the swim too.  The bike sounds really rough though, pizza back?  Ouch!!  You nailed the bike time too. 
Running in the heat and humidity is sooooo much harder than cooler temps.
It sounds like a good race and congrats on going all that distance!!! AWESOME!!
2009-08-20 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
GREAT race report.  Thanks much for the tip on the hotel.  We stayed there as well, and it was great to just hop on my bike and ride over to the race site. 

1. The swim was waaaaayy cool, and funny, I thought the same thing about the poor ducks.
2. I felt the same way on the start of the bike, and felt like I was flying at the beginning, and same as you I had to eventually slow down due to the conditions of the road. I thought I was gonna get sucked in by one of the potholes.
3. Run....the part through the zoo, I almost threw up, and it wasn't because of the heat.  I smelled that too.  Unfortunately, that was the only shaded part of the run. 

Congrats on your first OLY.   I plan to do this one again next year, and shoot for the OLY myself.
2009-08-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2359674

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Thanks M-shell, and glad you enjoyed the hotel.

Now, of course, you owe US a race report too you know!

2009-08-22 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh, MAN! Please don't ever stop racing or writing. The combination is phenomenal.. You are amazing!  Thank you for taking the time to post that.  I was roaring with laughter and I was sweatin' right along with you.  I made my husband listen to half of it.  The responses were great too...I'm glad I didn't have to run by those monkey cages!  Keep up the great work..you are always improving and getting through hardships like a champ
2009-08-24 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to rock through some rough spots!!!  I hate rough roads....I have yet, fingers crossed, to wreck, so I know I am due and rough roads make me nervous.  The swim sounds awesome!!!  2 1/2 hours from Indy huh?  Which direction? 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy Rss Feed