Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 35s
Overall Rank = 56/63
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Went to the site early enough to have enough time to set myself and my wife`s stuff and explain her all the ins and outs of transitions. She was pretty nervous but really wanted to do one.
Event warmup:

Went swimming to get used to the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 15m 27s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a good swim. Not a lot of waves, perfect conditions for a first triathlon. We could walk/run part of the course because of sandhills in the water. Close to the first buoy, I could touch the bottom. Her objective was to not get out the last. And she did it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

There was a little run from the beach to transition. We took our time in transition. Removed wetsuit, put socks, shoes, helmet and off we go for the bike portion.
What would you do differently?:

Went well for a first one.
Bike
  • 55m 41s
  • 23 kms
  • 24.78 km/hr
Comments:

That is where she could improve her time. We were not going that fast, but she managed to do the distance without incidents. She did not train a lot on the bike but she wants to continue training this winter for next year.....
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Second transition went really fast. My wife was wearing her running shoes for the bike, so she just had to rack her bike, remove helmet and off we go.
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 30s  min/km
Comments:

We were just out of transition, maybe 3 minutes, and she tells me, "I need to walk". I told her "you are allowed to walk if you wish". But she never stopped. She just continued running. Just before half point she tells me again "I need to walk". Same answer. Again, she continues running. Even at the water points, she just took the water and continued running. At around 4km, same comment. This time I tell her "it is too late to stop, we are almost there". And she just continued and ran the full 5km without stoping once.
Approx 400m from the finish line, I hear some screaming behind us (50m). I look back and there is a runner waving franticly and loosing his balance. It is just like everything went blank, but he was still running and waving. There were cars parked on the side of the road, and he just leaned against a car (while still running), broke the mirror and fell in front of the car. There were security people just at that place, and they took care of him. They had to call the ambulance. But the ambulance did not leave immediately, it took like 40min, so I guess he was OK in the end. Pretty scary stuff.....and almost at the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Just talked and walked around.

Event comments:

It was pretty fun doing it with my wife for her first one. But the next one, she is on her own......

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:27 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 57/63
Performance:
Suit:
Course: The course was a triangular ocean swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:41 | 23 kms | 24.78 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the park and then 3 loops and back in the park. No real big hills, just one smooth uphill section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:30 | 05 kms | 06m 30s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Out and back course. No hills, pretty flat course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?