Trievents
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 49s
Overall Rank = 129/185
Age Group = Mountain Bike F
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

My husband, Kevin, cooked pasta for me last night. I had a better night's sleep than before other races. Got up, had a power bar, got to the race early and set up my transition area. Walked around a bit.
Event warmup:

Had an esspresso Hammer gel about 45 minutes before the race was scheduled to begin and then ran couple miles to warmup and get rid of some nervous energy. Got back to the transition area and into my wetsuit. Got into the lake and swam for a little while (it felt nice - not very cold at all).
Swim
  • 20m 2s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

My navigation is always bad. I drift to the left. This is the first time I tried to compensate for that, and I did better than usual, but I still went too wide at a couple buoys. I know I need to work on this.

I had a lot more contact in the tri than the others I've done, and it was okay. Not at all as scary as I thought it would be.

I started to get cramps in my legs my the end of the swim. This has been happening to me on longer open water swims. It doesn't happen in the pool. I think I'll try to work on not pointing my toes, and hope that that helps.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The bike rack started collapsing when I took my bike off. I sort of holding it trying it to figure out how to get it back up, and a volunteer saw what was happening and ran over to fix it, so I could leave.
What would you do differently?:

I felt discombobulated, but it went ok.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 55s
  • 25.09 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty hilly course (they added a hilly section from the last race I did there). I would keep track of where I was by the big hills - the uphills (3 on each loop) and downhills (2 on each loop). The downhills were fun. I got up to 38.7mph on one downhill. On the next loop on that same downhill, I had a showdown with a squirrel who decided at the last minute not to run in front of my bike. I heard skidding from a bike behind me, but no crash.

I had an Cherry flavored e-gel at the start of the second loop, and the third loop felt the best to me.

I just finished the water in my bottle by the end of the bike course, so hydrating went better than usual for me.

Buy a road bike. I was pretty spent after the bike. I think doing an Olympic length course on a road or tri bike would make it a lot easier.

A woman that I had been going back and forth with on the last loop until I finally pulled ahead of her, complimented me on my cycling, and said she was upset to have spent thousands of dollars on a race bike only to get passed by a mountain bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I put on socks for the run.
Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Hilly course. Hot, hot, hot. It was 80 by the time I was running. That's way hotter than I'm used to running (I train in the early morning), and breathing in hot air made me feel like I wasn't getting any oxygen at all. I had a lot of negative thoughts for the whole run. I kept thinking, "I can't do this." But, I kept on trying to talk myself into just keeping going, and told myself that if I felt really bad (after that next big tree or at the top of that hill) then I could walk, but other than a brief walk through the aid station at mile 2, I ran the whole way, albeit slowly.

There was a snake on the running path. ACK!

Train for running in heat.

Control the negative thoughts.
Post race
Warm down:

I must have looked pretty bad. Another racer told me to sit down and offered to bring me some food and water.

Event comments:

I had a good time. The volunteers were great.

In the event description, the run was supposed to be 8k, and I found out by looking at the map at registration that it had been changed to a 5k. I was happy about that, knowing that it was going to be hot.

The awards ceremony at the end took forever. The race director was interviewing a lot of people. But, the few people that stayed until after it was over got to participate in the giveaway, and there were some great prizes. I GOT A FREE WETSUIT, which is great because I'm beginning to under-grow mine, and it will help motivate me to lose some more weight.

This was the second in a series of 3 tris. The next one will be a 1.5k/40k/10k. I probably could have done that distance, but I can't say that for sure. The run was tough for me. I need to work on my endurance. More biking - so that I can feel less wiped out afterwards and running in heat.

Last updated: 2005-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:02 | 1000 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 11/2
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise course around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:55 | 25.09 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Performance: Average
This time includes both transitions.
Wind: None
Course: 3 loops.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:50 | 03.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop with a out and back section. Last 200m(?) over grass to the finish.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes