Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 7h 53m
  • 148.7 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots of fun. Traffic wasn't too bad once we got out of the city and the course also straightened out a bit. Stopped at first rest stop, third rest stop and fifth rest stop. Also took a break at Indian Wells Beach. Really struggled through the last hour, especially miles 120-135...those really hurt. Ate two honey sandwiches, which brought the glucose level back up!

Start at Penn Station, before heading down to cross the Brooklyn Bridge. A little cool in the morning with hints of the threatening rain, which never developed! Hurried through the streets of Brooklyn with some guy I didn't know (with aerobars, I won't draft so he wasn't sharing much of the pulling!). First rest stop was at about mile 25. Continued through the bumpy roads of Brooklyn and on to the Babylon train station where the 100-mile route started. At this point, things became somewhat more interesting. I finally gave up on following the cue sheet and just started following the little pink Mn arrows. Certainly helped speed things up. Added some water at the third rest stop (mile 67), then took off agin. As I said before, the ride became more interesting as my competitive nature took over and I was able to start playing the game of Pac-Man, my favorite thing to do in any ride/race. I always just try to keep picking off the next person in front of me. At this point two triathletes blew by me. I only caught up to them after they had a little crash. Once they recovered, they blew by me again. Damn! Really had to go to the bathroom but the lines for the loos were way too long so I kept on, getting water again at the 115-mile rest stop. The 10-15 miles previous to this were the fastest for me as there was a triathlete drafting off me for that distance. I felt the pressure to turn the screws a little bit. As I said before, I am against the idea of drafting on aerobars but my pride wouldn't allow him to go around me...but my legs wouldn't let me pull away from him. After the final rest stop, my legs decided to complain about the abuse I had just put them through and I bonked really badly. Finally found some bushes at Indian Wells Beach in Amagansett, which provided a lot of relief. At this point, I ate my honey sandwiches. Just a few minutes later, I felt SO much better. The glucose did its trick (even 7 hours after making the sandwiches, they tasted great!). Through Napeague Stretch, I started to again push the pace. For those of you unfamiliar with the Hamptons, this stretch is a false flat (maybe a 1-2% incline) with sand dunes on both sides and constant cross winds. With Hed.3s, the crosswinds were blowing me around a little but not too bad. I was fortunate enough to again have riders decide to draft off me. I felt like George Hincappie with Lance Armstrong behind me, knowing I was blowing up with others following me. It was awesome. Once we passed by the bars I love to drink at, these guys (fortunately on road bikes) went flying past me. After recovering for a few miles, I made it through the hills of Old Montauk Highway and up to the ride end for a much needed shower and a couple servings of pasta and a beer. As my longest ride ever, it was an awesome feeling to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Eat more on the bike...I knew I needed to eat those honey sandwiches and didn't until it was almost too late!
Post race

Last updated: 2005-03-29 12:00 AM
Biking
07:53:00 | 148.7 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Distance/HR Avg/Cadence Hour 1: 16.4/136/90 Hour 2: 18.0/145/92 Hour 3: 19.2/150/95 Hour 4: 19.1/151/95 Hour 5: 19.3/152/94 Hour 6: 19.9/155/93 Hour 7: 20.7/153/95 Hour 8: 16.1/153/92
Wind: Little
Course: NYC out to Montauk...bumpy through Brooklyn with lots of turns...
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 10:20 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Montauk Century

2005-05-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: #157999

User image

Veteran
Parsippany, New Jersey
Subject: RE: Montauk Century (140-mile route)
Nice weekend!!! Saturday run and Sunday Ride. WAY TO GO!!!

Good Luck next Sat in Harriman.

2005-05-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: #158121

User image

New York, NY
Subject: RE: Montauk Century (140-mile route)
Thanks for the wish of luck...I am still hoping the water warms up enough to do the swim. If the temp is sub 50, no swim, 50-54, 0.6 miles, 55+ 1.2 miles. It's a brutal course that is going to kick my butt!
2005-05-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: #157999

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Montauk Century
Thanks for posting this- I'd like to do this ride next year- I live in NYC and did a summer house in Amagansett once so the descriptions are great! I've never ridden on the Napeague stretch but have often thought that it must be surprisingly brutal - and I can't believe you resisted the temptation to relax and have a beer at Cyrils on the way home
And maintaining 18+mph for all that time- well I am just in awe.
2005-05-16 5:36 PM
in reply to: #158465

User image

New York, NY
Subject: RE: Montauk Century
foxycharmer - 2005-05-16 2:35 PM

Thanks for posting this- I'd like to do this ride next year- I live in NYC and did a summer house in Amagansett once so the descriptions are great! I've never ridden on the Napeague stretch but have often thought that it must be surprisingly brutal - and I can't believe you resisted the temptation to relax and have a beer at Cyrils on the way home
And maintaining 18+mph for all that time- well I am just in awe.

It was a great ride! I stayed with some friends a few times last summer in Amagansett as well and had done the ride out to Montauk a few times. It is a horrible stretch, but if I bought a place in the Hamptons, I could go for one of those houses across the street from Cyrils. Were I not stuck on the train, I would have stopped at Cyril's for multiple beers (assuming there was another driver) and also got a couple of lobster rolls!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Montauk Century Rss Feed