Imperial Beach Chamber of Commerce
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 2s
Overall Rank = 243/673
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 33/74
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had most of a bagel with peanut butter, sipped on water on the way to IB. Tried out my new standing pump, not sure I inflated the front tire all the way, I got psyched out and was afraid it would pop :P Set up transition area, hit the restrooms and headed down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Warmup was minimal, did some light jogging on the beach, stretched my calves for awhile and then made an attempt to enter the surf as the first wave started. The waves were larger than I've experienced, one crashed on me and that was a wake up call! Swam out a few strokes and then back in, very minimal warmup.
Swim
  • 13m 36s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The entry and exit were the most difficult part of this swim for me, the currents were stronger than I've experienced and the waves were larger. Exiting was the worse, I'd get pushed then pulled, I should have tried dolphining or something else!
What would you do differently?:

Work on surf entries and exits more, definitely need to train swimming more, I felt pretty exhausted after only 500 meters, didn't seem like it affected me by the time I got to the bike and run though.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was only my second time in this new wetsuit, definitely haven't mastered getting out of it. Another racer saw me struggling and pulled the suit off my heel, I thought that was great!! Having a tri top definitely saved time, didn't have to mess around with putting on a top or anything. Unknown T1 as official results didn't track. Estimate is 3:15 minutes.

Get out of my wetsuit faster, pick it up just a little bit more in the transition.
Bike
  • 29m 45s
  • 9.6 miles
  • 19.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably could have pushed a little harder, this is now my 3rd race and I'm starting to learn it is ok to "sprint" on a sprint race, that more than likely I'm not going to blow up, so that definitely helped me to speed up at times.

Gone faster of course, especially through the rougher areas, I'm usually more afraid I'm going to hurt my bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Love my new speed laces on my shoes, it felt like it saved me all the time in the world. I left the transition feeling like I had forgot something because I got out of there faster than normal :P T2 not officially tracked, estimate under 1 minute.

Have a gel already in my tri short pocket prior to the race even beginning instead of grabbing it at T2.
Run
  • 20m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt much better coming off my tri bike than my first two races on a road bike, my bike wasn't killing me and my legs seemed fresher, definitely liked the feeling. I felt slow at first, but from previous experience I knew I was doing fine. Took in a gel and water at the turn around point, probably not necessary but good training and psychologically beneficial!

If my splits were correct I was moving faster on this run than I have on any of my previous tri's, I'd like to think I'm just becoming stronger overall! Just run faster I guess!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down was some minimal stretching and walking around the venues.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim still psyches me out, it would have been cool to see what I could have swam on a calm day, but I guess it just makes me stronger. The run and the bike I'm relatively happy with, my tri bike felt much faster.

Last updated: 2009-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:36 | 500 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 64/74
Overall: 515/673
Performance: Average
Time came from my watch, start to passing through swim exit sign.
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangular course near IB pier. Current was pushing north, everyone started well south of the first buoy, if anything I probably over compensated and swung too wide.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:45 | 9.6 miles | 19.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/74
Overall: 377/673
Performance: Good
Time came from bike computer set to autotime, from the time I unracked to the time I racked my bike.
Wind: None
Course: Out to airfield and then two laps around the airfield. Overall the course was pretty fast, no real hills to speak of. The east side of the airfield heading west gets rough, the pavement isn't very smooth.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:30 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/74
Overall: 75/673
Performance: Good
Time came from my watch, start run exit through finish mat.
Course: Out and back course, along Seacoast and then onto the Navy base. Pretty much a flat course, felt fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes