Overall Rank = 46/63
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Swim
  • 28m 6s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Crowded in the beginning. 1st 5-8 minutes it was difficult to get around slower swimmers. Crowd forced me to shorten my stroke a bit and pick my head up more than I would have liked. After the first turn I had more room and really lengthened my stroke and took advantage of a few drafting opportunities. I have done several open water swims, but this was the first time I really took advantage of drafting. The second half of the swim I felt very strong.
What would you do differently?:

Work my way closer to the front for the start. Do a better job of sighthing without picking up my head so much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

This was my first real transition from Swim to bike. I half jogged up the ramp, dried off, ate some gel, threw on socks and shoes and walked my bike to end of the transition area. As this was my first tri - I was more worried about making sure I had everything I needed then moving quickly

Moved faster in and out of the transition area. Most people - even those with wet suits were out in under 2 minutes so 3 minutes is pretty slow.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 38s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 14.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a flat tire on the 3rd mile. I could not get the tire off the rim. After about 15 minutes an SUV from a local bike store stopped to help (save) me. I don't think I would have ever gotten it fixed. All said and done I think a lost at least 20 minutes on the flat. Most of the finishers in my age group came in between 1:15 and 1:20, had I not had the flat I think I might have been in the thick of things at the end of the bike.

1. Better tires - 4 flats in less than 100 miles - getting some bontrager hard-cases - hope it works.

2. Practice fixing flats - hopefully I can comfortable fixing one in the road in 5-10 minutes
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Not sure how to gauge this one - top guys were through in 30 seconds but my T2 was not near the worst of the pack.

I may need to get some real biking shoes/clips - I wore an old pair of leather athletic shoes that were on the narrow side so they fit into the pedal baskets. My feet and toes had fallen asleep on the ride.
Run
  • 53m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Sun was brutal although the temperature was not extreme (mid-70s) But after getting off the bike, the sun and uphill were sucking the life out of me. It felt like I was moving really slow so I was surprised that I still managed 9 minute miles for the whole thing.

Maybe next time I should try to push the pace a little bit at the beginning of the run and lengthen my stride. After the first 2 miles I felt like I started getting some wind back. I might have gotten my wind back even if I pushed harder in the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Very moderate stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to change my own bike tire, not positioning myself well at the swim start, not speeding through the transitions

Event comments:

This was my first one so I don't have anything to benchmark against, but its a beautiful area. The river wasn't too mucky. Lots of friendly helpful volunteers. I will most likely do this one again.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:06 | 1584 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 19/63
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangle in the Susquehanna river - Starting downstream, cross river, upstream, cross back over river to start.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:42:38 | 24.8 miles | 14.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 59/63
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lots of climbs especially toward the beginning. Beautiful countryside, sometimes the course markings were easy to miss - other riders went off course. At times I was concerned that I was off course because there were long distances without markings and no other bikers near me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:18 | 06.2 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 36/63
Performance: Average
Course: Streets and sidewalks. First 2 miles were a low to moderate incline. Last 4 miles were flatter and had occasional shady spots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 7:46 PM

User image

New user

Swarthmore, PA
Subject: Riverstock Triathlon

2009-08-31 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2381496

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Riverstock Triathlon

Nice job.  I debated coming to this and registering onsite but decided not to.  I had a couple friends that did, several of which got lost on the bike course somehow.  

You learn lots at your first few tris, so well done! 

2009-09-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2381587

New user

Subject: RE: Riverstock Triathlon
Thanks for your interest and participation.  I jumped into this race as coordinator for my first attempt at such a task.  My first 1/2 Ironman was much easier!  I had some great help and we saw lots of tired, happy people at the end.  We also listened carefully and know what will make bigger smiles at the end of the event next year, August 29, 2010.  Hope to see everybody there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverstock Triathlon Rss Feed