United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

I rode around part of the course for 20 minutes and had a chocolate powerbar. I was very nervous because this was my first road race.
Bike
  • 1h 33m
  • 27 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The women's cat 4 race consisted of a team from CycleWorks (10 girls) and then myself and two other girls. So the race was controlled by the CycleWorks team. It was very frustrating. They kept breaking on the downhills and coasting on the flats. It's like they were treating this RACE like a team training ride.

Unfortunately, I didn't finish the race. :( This is my first ever dnf. I was able to stay with the pack and ride comfortably but when attacks were made, I had a hard time keeping up. It's on an attack that I lost the pack. I tried to catch them for about 4 or 5 miles but the wind was too strong. I survived for 27 out of the 42 miles. It was a good learning experience. In order to attack, I need to develop more sprinting muscles.
What would you do differently?:

Finish the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I found my husband and friends along the course and that's when I stopped. So I quit and then I followed their car back to the start/finish line- that's was another 5 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't have any sprinting muscles/fasttwich

Event comments:

My first road race was a good experience and even though I was very disappointed that I didn't finish and lost the pack, I'm glad I did it.

I will say this, I'm in the process of talking to a guy who coaches a girl's cycle team. I could have really used teammates during this race. I'm torn because my heart is in love with triathlons, however, I had fun doing this road race. I know that if I keep training for tri then I won't be the best road racer. If I had to decide today then I'm going to join the team but put my triathlon training over bike training.

Last updated: 2005-05-17 12:00 AM
Biking
01:33:00 | 27 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was a 5 mile through town then out to a parkway which was 16 miles in length. Category 4 women did the parkway loop twice before we headed back into town and did the 5 mile through town again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-05-17 10:11 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Mayor's Race

2005-05-17 12:14 PM
in reply to: #158959

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Mayor's Race
Tough break Bethany But, it's not like you were taking it easy the day before Just do what your heart tells you. If you love tri's, then cool. If it's more cycling, cool too. This is supposed to be fun, right? Do what you enjoy most!

-Frank
2005-05-18 7:18 AM
in reply to: #158959

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Mayor's Race

Bethany, you had the guts to sign up and show up.  I commend you for making the effort.  Secondly, you have two choices;  mark this up to failure or experience.  If you quit at this point, that would be failure, if you use this to learn and grow and come back better than ever, you can simply mark it down to experience.

I wish you the best.  Rock on!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mayor's Race Rss Feed