General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I improve for my next Sprint...I just finished my very first one!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 9:05 AM

User image

Subject: How can I improve for my next Sprint...I just finished my very first one!!
Hi!  I am so excited that I finished my first ever triathlon Sprint and it was a blast! I just want to keep doing them and get better! I'm wondering if anyone would mind taking a look at my times that I posted in my race log and give me any advice as to what I can do better for my next Sprint in a month.  I have been super sporadic in logging my training in the log, so I just bought a log book so I can manually put it in as soon as I'm done at the gym or outside workout and then transfer it to the computer when I remember.  Also, does anyone have one of the GPS devices that can track you?  They seem a bit expensive for my budget, but I'm willing to save up for it if it's worth it.  Would it help me improve?
Thanks!!  

Edited by SarahBeth 2009-09-01 9:14 AM

2009-09-01 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2382213

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Subject: RE: How can I improve for my next Sprint...I just finished my very first one!!
You don't need anything more fancy than a spreadsheet or note book. GPS, HRMs, etc are all not really needed for beginner level workouts. Training volume and consistency are going to be the biggest key.

Pick your two weakest disciplines and focus on them while maintaining what you are best at. Training lots and pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone a couple times a week will be more helpful than any gadget for your first year or two.

2009-09-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2382267

User image

Subject: RE: How can I improve for my next Sprint...I just finished my very first one!!
That's good to know!  Thanks!  
2009-09-01 4:41 PM

User image

I am interesting in hearing more perspectives on this topic because I did my first sprint in August and had a similar question about training strategy.  I was thinking of focusing on my strongest two areas because I feel that I could see greater improvements overall for the amount of time I can devote to training.  I could spend lots of time going from below par to average on my weakest or move from average to above average on my strengths.  Anyone have experience one way or another?
2009-09-01 6:41 PM

User image

Master
As a beginner myself I would say this. If you are not following a plan, I would say make sure to be consistent.
As far as focusing on your strengths or weaknesses, it depends how strong or weak you are.
For me, my runs were in the 11 min mile area and I am down to 9 min mile. that is a huge improvement, and it is because I started doing more speedwork after laying a solid base.
I would say to pick one area and focus on it for 4-6 weeks. Again, if you are not using a plan, figure out the key workouts you are going to do in the area you want to focus on and then if you have done what you aimed to do.
Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How can I improve for my next Sprint...I just finished my very first one!! Rss Feed