General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do feet get BETTER? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 5:39 PM

New user
Subject: Do feet get BETTER?
I have for a long time had pretty flat feet and been a severe over-pronator. I have worn motion-control type shoes (Brooks Beast) to give my feet the proper support for about the last 3 years or so. Within the last 8 months, I have upped my level of training in order to start doing triathlons. I had no problems up through my first sprint race which was about a month ago.

Since that race, I have continued my training and just completed my second sprint race this past weekend. However, since my last race, I have been having more and more foot pain. This include plantar facia, knees, shin splints, ankles, etc. After doing this race, I had sever pain in the ankle the next day. It is starting to subside now that I have taken a couple days off.

My shoes are not new (neither the style nor this particular pair) and they are not worn out (probably about 100 miles on this pair) so I have ruled that out. My question is: Can it be that my form or ankle strength has improved with training and now the extra support in those shoes is too much for me, thus causing pain??

Anyone have any suggestions?? I have some longer run events coming up that I need to train for!

2009-09-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2383651

New user
Subject: RE: Do feet get BETTER?
no one??
2009-09-02 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
get a foot wheel and use it twice a day, your feet will hurt at first, but after about a week you'll be craving it. 

Make sure you only increase mileage slowly.. I torched my feet "getting ready for tri season" and am now dropping my distances down but running more frequently and so far, so good.  Plus I got a pair of custom insoles and try on new shoes at a store that will analyze my gait (I still need support shoes with the insoles!)
2009-09-02 11:05 AM

User image

You may very well have done this but just in case, start at the beginning.

Have you had your gait and pronation type actually looked at by a running store? Not a sports store that sells shoes, a running store. You may or may not have the right shoes if you have not and that might be causing all the discomfort. If they did not watch you run, leave and go somewhere else until you find one that watches you from behind.

I'm flat footed with neutral pronation and according to a lot of places that combo shouldn't exist.

After that, then it might be time to see a sport's doctor and/or physical therapist to see if there's something mechanical that's screwing with you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do feet get BETTER? Rss Feed