F.I.R.M.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 36s
Overall Rank = 130/160
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

The school year has begun and I have been in a blitz of furious action in order to look "together" for this event of school beginning. Therefore, my tri-prep was minimal and my attitude (unfortunately?) job-like.

That being said, I did bring the bike in for a few adjustments on my ride to the bridal shop the day before to try on a bridesmaids dress. It was raining and the drive was far so I left it at the shop while I tried on my dress. It was a rainy/crazy day involving dyed vs. designer shoes and cranky dress shop ladies. I was relieved to pick up my bike after that mess and the thought crossed my mind that it is much easier to be a triathlete than a bridesmaid :)

Anyway, I went to bed at a reasonable time the night before (asked hubby to put our girl to bed) after doing a stretch routine and woke up the next morning and warmed up breakfast & coffee to eat/drink on the hour ride there.
Event warmup:

Warming up consisted mainly of jogging around the transition area. The area was FAR from where I parked and up the steep hill we later had to run up after the swim. People were friendly as always and I met a cool 60 year-old guy who had done the race before and described the course a bit for me. His name was Ed. Ed turned out to be a MACHINE!...Tune in for more...

I got my tires pumped there, as instructed by the bike shop. I felt the water in the "pond" (that is a big ol'e pond!), stretched a bunch and ate some Cliff Bloks (I am SUCH a fan of these now!!!).

I LOVED the flag saluting in the water with all of my fellow various color-capped triathletes. It was really moving and lovely. I opted not to wear a wetsuit because of the warm temperature. My tri-top is very draggy though and I'm sure I would have done better speed-wise with a suit. ANYWAY>>>
Swim
  • 14m 46s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't crazy about this start. I've never done OWS in a race before but it seemed to me that starting strategy could do a lot for you. I just tried my best from my position but people were starting all over the place. There was no "starting line".

The way this race worked was that the first group wore yellow caps and were all men. The next group left the beach 3 minutes later and wore bluc caps and were women and teams. The final wave went three minutes after the blues and wore white caps and were day-of registrants.

I am proud to say I passed at least 8 yellow caps! Unfortunately about 1 or 2 white caps passed me!

I worked at not swallowing as my air and breathing after 3 strokes rather than my normal 5. This seemed to work well for me all though the tremendous burping still haunted me later on.

I felt (too much so??) relaxed during the entire swim and frankly, was happy and proud to be a part of all the hub-bub.

I. LOVE. OWS RACES!
What would you do differently?:

Have a starting strategy. Be a bit more aggressive.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Wow! We had to run from the beach up a steep hill with stairs and gravel at the top barefoot! Now that's a YOWZA ;)

Anyway, I was so meat-headed and giddy with the field-day-like rush I ran past my bike!

Practice running to my bike in the transition area a few times so I don't pull that meat-head move again. I feel like the rest of the transition was good though and I avoided having to take off a wetsuit by, errr...not wearing one. Genius, I tell you.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 20s
  • 17 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I played cat-and-mouse so long with this one particular woman that we actually ended up busting up laughing. I would pass her on the uphills and she would pass me on the flats. Interesting.

I realized half-way through this portion of the race that this is the farthest I've ridden on my road bike! And so I do this sandwiched between a half-mile swim and 3.5 mile run? That's what makes me fun :)

I would love to try aerobars next year. I feel really strong when I'm down on my handlebars.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Good transition here. I'm such a wuss about stickiness though and my hands were sticky from eating more Clif Bloks. Ah, well. Better than having caffeine jelly beans stuck to my teeth for the picture-man :)

Nothing. I think this went pretty well. Maybe practice jumping off of my bike???
Run
  • 40m 15s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I couldn't run up some of the steeper hills on the first lap but I was crushing them on the second lap. I think I still have some psychological stuff working against me.

buck up!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit, stretched a lot, did leg drains, changed in my car and came down to the award ceremony....I was teary-eyed when I saw all of those 1's next to my name! I may have been the only Athena there but I know one was registered and didn't show. Also, a lot of ppl didn't register Athena b/c I guess last year a lot of college girls who were fast registered Athena. I did it anyway and it paid off. So go me:) I definately qualify at 188 pounds! Hey, you have to show up to win! :P

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe weight? Certainly not grit. I've got that ;)

Event comments:

Awesome race! Post activities only get an "average" because I reserve "best" for the Bridge of Flowers' free massages, veggie burgers and music :)

PS. I wrote this in a state of near-delirium induced by exhaustion. 'Hope you enjoyed it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:46 | 880 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 87/160
Performance: Average
water temp is a guess only
Suit: tri suit (no wet suit)
Course: Triangular course keeping buoys to your left shoulder
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:20 | 17 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Overall: 115/160
Performance: Good
There were a few significant hills here. Chances to try out my shifting! I think I did pretty well. A lot of sharp-ish corners also. I think I had way too much fun during this portion of the race :)
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, cornery :P
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:15 | 03.5 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 143/160
Course: OH. MAN. My legs wers SO stiff and painful for the first MILE! Ah, well. I saw ED!! I heard him huffing and puffing and he caught up to me and we ran together for awhile. I was on my second loop and he was on his first, but man...he is a machine! I only pulled ahead of him when he told me in was mainly downhill for the next .5 miles. Then he said he should keep his comments to himself. Ha! Ed was awesome. He got 2nd in his age division and wore a T-shirt that said "This Old Hippy Keeps on Runnin'!"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-02 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Journey for Sight Triathlon

2009-09-03 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2386103

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Journey for Sight Triathlon

Way to rock, Grace!!!

And did you know you were part-fish???  Seriously, that swim pace is enviable!

2009-09-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2386103

User image

Extreme Veteran
All I see is the big old 1 next to your name!!!!   You rock!!!!  1 41 swim???  Dang girl!!
2009-09-04 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2387243

User image

Veteran
Thank you! I looove to swim
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Journey for Sight Triathlon Rss Feed