General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accident recovery is tiring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-03 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Subject: Accident recovery is tiring
Last week I was hit by a car and was fortunate enough to escape without breaking anything, though I have a spectacular set of bruises. On Monday (6 days after accident) I did a short easy run. On Tuesday I did a short easy bike ride. Yesterday I did a short easy swim.  All systems check out functional with only minor pain from the brusies.

This was supposed to be my peak week with my first Oly length race coming up on Sept. 19. After testing the workout waters, it's clear I'm going to have to back way off this week to give my muscles time to recover from the injuries. I'm almost positive I'll be able to complete the Oly due to prior fitness levels, but I doubt I'll be racing it that hard.

What I was not prepared for was how thirsty I am during recovery and how much extra sleep I need. I'm drinking about twice as much water as I did before the accident and sleeping 2 to 3 hours a day more. I know this is just my body trying to rebuild itself, but the magnitude of my thirst is pretty amazing.

Does this match others experiences? Any advice? At this point I think I'll be happy to cut back to 1 workout a day with 1 day of complete rest (so 6 workouts this week). My workouts will be low impact and for approximately race distances. I feel like I should keep moving and not take any more time completely off but I'm very wary of stressing my sore muscles too much so close to the race.

2009-09-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2386972

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Accident recovery is tiring
Beej - 2009-09-03 7:41 AM Last week I was hit by a car and was fortunate enough to escape without breaking anything, though I have a spectacular set of bruises. On Monday (6 days after accident) I did a short easy run. On Tuesday I did a short easy bike ride. Yesterday I did a short easy swim.  All systems check out functional with only minor pain from the brusies.

This was supposed to be my peak week with my first Oly length race coming up on Sept. 19. After testing the workout waters, it's clear I'm going to have to back way off this week to give my muscles time to recover from the injuries. I'm almost positive I'll be able to complete the Oly due to prior fitness levels, but I doubt I'll be racing it that hard.

What I was not prepared for was how thirsty I am during recovery and how much extra sleep I need. I'm drinking about twice as much water as I did before the accident and sleeping 2 to 3 hours a day more. I know this is just my body trying to rebuild itself, but the magnitude of my thirst is pretty amazing.

Does this match others experiences? Any advice? At this point I think I'll be happy to cut back to 1 workout a day with 1 day of complete rest (so 6 workouts this week). My workouts will be low impact and for approximately race distances. I feel like I should keep moving and not take any more time completely off but I'm very wary of stressing my sore muscles too much so close to the race.

Yeah, I have to sleep tons after various accidents. Never noticed the thirst, though.

As long as you keep moving and doing stuff, you won't lose all that much from your training. As soon as you can just get back into your normal workouts, and you should still be able to race your Oly just fine.

A lot of people get antsy about missing a big build week, but honestly, if you've been following the rest of the plan diligently and hitting the workouts hard, even missing your big week won't have THAT much of an impact.

John
2009-09-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2386972

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: Accident recovery is tiring
I'm about one week ahead of you with the recovery following an accident.  That first week was definitely the hardest to stay motivated.  I had to adjust my running style from the sore neck, shoulder, arm muscles... had to stop running with my arms as much.  Swimming was similar because of the shoulder rotation kind of movement, but managed to keep that.  Bike... well, I don't have a bike anymore because of the accident, but I'll have the new one 3 days before my race on the 12th (HIM)... talk about "nothing new on race day" being out the window.

I have found myself needing/wanting more sleep, but I wouldn't say there's really been a drastic change in my fluid intake though.  Like you, the original goal time is likely out the window by a decent margin now, but the prior fitness level is sure get me through it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accident recovery is tiring Rss Feed