Skaneateles Labor Day Race Weekend
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 36s
Overall Rank = 570/750
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4AM. packed the car the night before, so after shower and donning of tri clothing I was on the road by 4:50AM on my way to the Parking area. Ate a Clif Bar and a gel w/caffeine along with a bottle of gatorade/water mix.
Event warmup:

Stand around talking with Bill and others next to us in transition. We arrived so early we had plenty of time to spare which was good. Took some time to look for family and friends and stare in disappointment at the small tear in my brand new wetsuit. I was in the first wave of swimmers, silver caps. As we were called to the water I saw James and Aimee holding a big sign of encouragement.
Swim
  • 20m 32s
  • 732 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lined up way to the left this year to avoid lost of contact at the start. Sun was right in my face on my left side breathing on the outbound. Water was clear and calm, there were a few very novice swimmers doing side and breast, thankfully I was able to pass. Tried to stay relaxed and was pretty successful until I had about 100m left I wanted to stand at the first yellow bouoy but realized I had to swim to the second one, woops. On the way out of the water I slipped on the ramp and had to catch myself. I was pretty winded after this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep practicing otherwise I was happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

My wetsuit has a breakaway zipper so you're supposed to yank Upwards on the ripcord and the whole zipepr comes loose, which would be fast unless of course you forget this feature and pull the ripcord down first. The zipper thus got stuck and cost me some time. Last year I was 2:35 in transition. As I attempted to run with my bike I realized how winded I was from the swim and had to walk.

Practice the wetsuit zipper, and also running with my bike.
Bike
  • 57m 5s
  • 14 miles
  • 14.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Where do I start? I was really winded from the swim and the T1 run w/bike so I tried to take it really easy out on West Lake Rd. I had trouble with getting my HR back under control until about Mile 4 because I got to rest my legs on a couple nice downhills. At about mile 6 I saw a guy lose a water bottle right in front of me and I had to swerve. The guy behind me nailed it head on, he must have had luck on his side as he didn't wipe out. About a mile later I went to grab a gel and fumbled to get it out of my bike jersey. After I ate it, I had some stuck on my hand and as I went to grab my water bottle, it slipped out of my hand and onto the road. I was forced to pull off the road and run back and get it, which cost me a lot of time because I had to wait for a line of cyclists to pass me before I could run across the road. After recovering the bottle the rest of the bike ride was solid. I made it over Benson Rd. hill without standing and just hammered the pedals as hard as I could. I saw 3 cyclist walking up this hill. Got some good speed on Giles Rd, and the rest of the bike was easy. Saw my family and friends as I got to the bike dismount area and that was uplifting but I knew I had expended a lot of energy on this ride.

don't drop my water bottle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Bad transition. Should have been 1/2 the time it took me but a wetsuit was stuffed in the area where my rear tire was supposed to be. Wasted too much time trying to figure out how to keep my bike upright. As I ran out of transition area I knew it was gonna be a tough run, I was very fatigued from the bike.

Throw the vagrant wetsuit into the lake.
Run
  • 37m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very fatigued from the get-go. Just tried to keep a nice easy pace similar to training, 12 mins/mile is my normal training run, but it felt like I was crawling. At the golf course hill at mile 1 I was forced to walk about half of the hill. I also had to walk 2 other times, once near the drink station and once prior to making the final turn onto Main St. Seeing my friends and family running into the finish was so cool.

Probly needed to do more training runs this season, my endurance was lower than I expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted up Bill and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight gain in the off season and back injury preventing me from training in the early season.

Last updated: 2009-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:32 | 732 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 57/
Overall: 451/750
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Q-Roo
Course: Out and back, standing star, very clear water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:05 | 14 miles | 14.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 67/
Overall: 545/750
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 14 miles of rolling hills, 2 medium size climbs and 1 difficult (for me) climb that demands all I can give in my lowest gear.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:37:27 | 03 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/
Overall: 605/750
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-05 8:29 PM

User image

New user

Liverpool (Syracuse), New York
Subject: Skinnyman Triathlon

2009-09-06 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2391787

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Skinnyman Triathlon

Great race, especially dealing with wetsuit frustrations!  That hill nearly killed me; I saw a few people walking up is as well- excellent work just making it up!

2009-09-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2391787

User image

New user

Franklin, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Skinnyman Triathlon
Some tough breaks on the course, but it sounds like you had a great race! Good strategy on the swim. It can be a bit of a washing machine in there, so it sounds like you did the right thing to give yourself some clear water.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skinnyman Triathlon Rss Feed