Austin, Texas
United States
Jack and Adam's Bicycles
Total Time = 2h 32m 43s
Overall Rank = 178/1033
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 11/39
Pre-race routine:

I got to transition at 5am; I was one of the first people there as usual. It took me a whole 1 minute to set up transition since I'd dropped off my bike the night before. Then I went to the lake and sat down until 7am.
Event warmup:

Sat by the lake for 2 hours.
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not really sure what to say about this swim. There were a lot of people hugging buoys and doing the breaststroke. I failed to find a draft pack and swam by myself like always. One guy passed me and I tried to stay on his feet, but he just took off and I wondered how in the heck some people swim so fast. Oh yeah, and I swam straight into a giant boulder that was hidden just beneath the surface of the water at one point. That dazed me for a good 15 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim into a giant boulder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Not sure why my transition times are always so bad. This was a long transition, but still...2 1/2 minutes is just ridiculous.

Do it faster.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful course. We rode straight up Congress towards the capitol and made a u-turn on its front lawn before swinging around to Austin HS. Three loops of constant false flats. Yesterday, my roommate and I were looking for a Jimmy John's that was supposedly on 6th and Congress that we never found. While cycling during the race, I kept looking all over the place for it. Someone next to me asked what I was doing and I said "Looking for a sandwich shop." He gave me a strange look and then fell back.

Get me some of them new fandangled racin' wheels and go whoosh-whoosh past everyone in my age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I seriously don't know what I did that took that long. I struggled getting into my socks, but not 1 3/4 minutes worth of struggle.

I say this in every race report at the T2 section......learn to run sockless.......
Run
  • 50m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was cool. It was two loops of several mini out-and-backs and windy trails on jogging paths. It'd be nearly impossible to map this thing out on paper. My first loop felt really good, but at the end of the first loop a gaggle of girls decided to blast me with their super-soakers, and all the water collected in my left shoe which gave me terrible blisters. I also had to stop at a tree at the beginning of the second loop to stretch out my calves that were still sore from hill repeats on Saturday haha. Oops.

Not do hill repeats for the first time ever two days before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Went home and chopped down a giant tree with a flimsy hacksaw.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming into a boulder, trying to find a sandwich shop, soggy shoes and hill repeats. And apparently a total lack of transition skills.

Last updated: 2009-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/39
Overall: 0/1033
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:35 | 24.85 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/39
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:09 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/39
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-09-07 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2009-09-08 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2393593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Nice race. That Jimmy Johns is in the Bank of America tower . . . the black, non-descript square tower across 6th Street from the Littlefield Building. The entrance is on 6th.
2009-09-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2394104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Nice job! Boulder? Glad I missed that! I did see something that really freaked me out at one point - I have no idea what it was, but it looked like a giant amoeba!
2009-09-08 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2393593

User image

Master
Houston
Good race! I'm one of those people that have to run with socks, I've actually started swimming with them so you don't have to worry about putting them on in  transition. Just get a very thin wicking pair and you won't even notice them in the water, just looks a little funny when you're getting ready to jump in.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed