Orlando, Florida
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 30s
Overall Rank = 744/936
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 81/96
Pre-race routine:

I settled in for bed around 11:30pm and the alarm was going to go off at 4:50am. It was a short night sleep and I was hopped up on ear infection meds. I got up, got dressed and headed ot to pick Michelle up before the race. I was about 10 min behind where I wanted to be with regards to getting to Michelle's. She was ready and waiting. We got to Disney and parked. The buss ride from parking to the transition area took what seemed like an hour for a 1.5 mile drive. I think the bus driver was showing us around Ft Wilderness. I had only 15 min to set up my transition area and get to the water...and a potty break in there too.
Event warmup:

No warm-up, no time! As I waited on my wave, I stretched my arms a bit, but that was it. Legs were feeling like jelly and I was wishing I was back in bed. The yawns were giving it away. OI just wasnt feeling competative.
Swim
  • 24m 15s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before the race I was not feeling like I should participate with the dizziness I was having plus a short night of sleep and it was that time of the month. Sorry for sharing a bit much info. I was on the 1st leg of the U and was thinking about swimming to a boat and getting out of the water. I did not feel like participating. However, I am stubborn and as I cursed my way around the course, I just kept a slow but steady pace. I did manage to swim off course a bit on the top end of the U but was quickly re-directed by a man in a canoe.
What would you do differently?:

Get more sleep and not race when not feeling really good.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

After running ointhe sand to transition, I walkede to my gear. I was quick to rise the feet and get the socks and shoes on.

Not much
Bike
  • 46m 18s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt awesome in the bike. I was passing lots of people and only a select few passing me. I felt strong and was ready to go. I owned the road on this part. There were a lot of bottle to dodge on the road though. I was also a bit discouraged at the thin passing areas.

Run more out of transition instead of brisk walking to the mount point. Also, rememeber my gloves. My hand went a little numb on the return at about mile 8 which is when I realized I forgot my gloves.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Not to bad. It was different since this time I hade to change out shoes.

pick out the mulch in my sock that caused the blister under my ankle.
Run
  • 50m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this time I made myself run a bit and then walk a bit. I think it imprived my time, slightly. I was hurting and dizzy in this part. I noticed I was listing off to the side and was struggling to stay straight. I ran off the path into a tree early on. I was a bit embarrassed as I looked around to make sure no photographers were around. So, I walked a bit and then tried to run a bit. I continued this throughout the rest of the course. I met up with a woman that was recovering from breast cancer and we walked a bit together and then decided to run when we hit the portapotties..about 100meters out from the finish. I ran all the way in and was happy to be at the end where I could get some water and settle the equilibrium.

Not run into the tree that came out of nowhere. :)
Post race
Warm down:

What's this? ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The tree. Oh and the lack of sleep and lack of balance.

Last updated: 2009-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:15 | 880 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/96
Overall: 423/936
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: The course was a half mile race starting from the beach. When the horn sounded we ran into the water til it was almost waist deep and then began the swim un a U shape.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:18 | 12 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Overall: 454/936
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: After exiting transition, there was a 500yrd run with the bike before we could mount up. It was really hard to run in cleats so I walked most of that distance. It added quite a bit of time to my bike portion. Roads were surface roads at Disney. The lanes were thin and passing was difficult. At one point I went into the oncoming traffic section where there was no oncoming traffic. A race official told me to stay in my portion of the lane. I kept a pace on the bike between 17-18mph. I felt awesome on the bike. I think I was revivng from my crappy swim. On the way back in I was slowed up to about 9mph when I was on a no passing portion of the ride and the bike in front of me slowed my pace. I think she may have heard me mutter, but oh well.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:30 | 03.1 miles | 16m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 888/936
Performance: Average
Course: The race started on the road then then onto a bike path. Most of the area was shaded but mile 2-3 was not shaded and the sun finally arrived. There were 4 water stations on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes