Austin, Texas
United States
Jack and Adam's Bicycles
Total Time = 2h 28m 24s
Overall Rank = 133/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/95
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:15 and ate a Clif bar and banana on the way down to Auditorium Shores and washed it down with a flat Diet Coke. Drinking a Diet Coke pre-race was a first for me and I think it worked well. Got a quick shot of caffeine and no burp-causing carbonation. Think I'll do that again.

Once at the race site, I grabbed a parking space, set up my TA, dropped some stuff back at the truck, deuced, and scouted the swim exit to my TA and out. Relaxed until it was time to go.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Wanted to pre-swim but it was only allowed for the elite athletes. Once our wave was called into the water for the start, I was sure to be in the beginning of the pack so I could get a couple strokes in.
Swim
  • 29m 56s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had terrible navigation! It seemed like I was swimming all over the lake. Kept veering off to the left. I could definitely tell it had been a long while wince I swam in open water. Luckily my swim speed and strength has slowly increased this year so I was still able to keep 2' pace despite all my meanderings. Probably could have swam 1:53-ish if I had swam a little more straight.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

TA was a mess of dirt so I had a water bottle and towel to clean off my feet before donning my socks and shoes. Worked very well. It was a loooong run from TA to the bike mount.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.92 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first ride on my new tires - Continental GP4000S. They felt very good on the corners and rolled fast. Spent the first lap sorting out the course and the second and third pushing the pace a bit more. Sure was a blast coming towards the Congress bridge flying downhill on SoCo @ ~34 mph! Heck of a hill going south on South Congress though. Also a steep but short climb @ Cesar Chavez and Mopac. I was very happy with my bike split.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Forgot to cinch up my laces before I took off so I had to bend over and give the laces a pull halfway through the TA. Probably lost a couple seconds but not a big deal.
Run
  • 46m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

First few hundred yard were tough. After my legs loosened up, I was able to settle into a comfortable pace which by the end of the race was tough hold. I think I did a pretty good job of pacing myself. I think I drank a little too much in the first half.
Post race
Warm down:

Got an ART massage, ate fajitas, drank lots of fluids (including a New Belgium Skinny Dip), stretched a little, and sat around enjoying the post-race stuff. "The Mysterious Ways" U2 coverband was great!

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:56 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/95
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise from Auditorium Shores (1st St. bridge) to the Lamar bridge and back. Seemed to eb about the right distance.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:01 | 24.85 miles | 21.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/95
Wind: None
Course: From Auditorium Shores onto S. Congress to Mary Street, then u-turn back to the Capitol along Congress. Another u-turn in front of the Capitol, right turn onto Cesar Chavez. Took Cesar Chavez out to Mopac for another turn-around back towards Congress. 3 laps.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:02 | 06.21 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/95
Course: Good mix of grass and road/sidewalk running course meandering through the park and down to Riverside. Also ran across the Congress bridge and back. Did 2 laps of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes