Jack and Adam's Bicycles
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 18s
Overall Rank = 146/1036
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/162
Pre-race routine:

Performance hopes 2 weeks out. I have not been on a bike for 2 weeks and wont get a ride in until 10 days prior. TDY and focused on running. Here goes.

2:28:00 stretch 2:34:00 slop ultra slop no wet suit 2:38ish Met Slop
Swim 23:00 1:32 will take work 24:00 1:36 no wetsuit 27:00 Missed it
T1 3:00 Met
Bike 1:09:10 21.5 mph will take work 1:12:40 20.5 mph Met Stretch
T2 2:10 Met
Run 50:40 8:10 pace aggressive but possible 52:10 8:25 8:45 53:30 Met Stretch

90 of 709 male finishers
Spent the night in Austin. Woke at 505, ate 1 ensure, 1 cup coffee, took a loaf (small) of bread with me and snacked till 630. Out the door and on site at 0545 as planned. Transition setup went well, success finding an open porta potty. went to the lake and sat down to stretch and rest.
Event warmup:

Looked for Stacey and the kids. Found them at 720, set up the garmin under the cap and relaxed. No pre-race swim in the lake, have to be a pro to get a 7 min warm up
Swim
  • 27m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Tried the garmin under the cap routine. Really didn't have my head in the game even 5 min out. I really expected a poor overall race. I was almost last into the water and swam across the start line to the right bouy and waited for the gun. Short time to wait and off. Not much drafting the whole way. No real contact until I began catching waves. That happened faster than I thought it would. Water level was low and at one point hit a rock formation with my hand, caught me off guard. Shortly after on the first leg I caught the stragglers of the first 35-39 wave (I was in the second). Two good rt turns and then the poor sighting began. I didn't see the far turn mark initially so I just started swimming in the general direction, too far right. At the 1200 point, give or take I finally sighted the bouy and corrected to course. Good turn to the finish and out of the water with a minor slip.
What would you do differently?:

Look at how many (or few) intermediate markers there are and try to find them sooner. Oh and train the month leading up to the swim!
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Out of the water I got the cap and garmin off but my goggles stayed on the top of my head. The family liked the look. Garmin out of the bag and on the wrist and magically it worked. Wanted to go as hard as possible without blowing up. Got to the rack, gear down on my bag, glasses on helmet on bike in hand and run. T area was dry and sandy so as I approached the mount area I stomped the feet to try to get as much off as possible. Ran past mount line stepped over and got the rt foot on the peddle. Not a flying mount but a good one still. no risk and no wasted effort. Slow getting into the shoes, on the bridge before the velcro was closed but a good T1.

They are getting good. Run quicker to the rack and to the mount line. hard to do with dry gravely conditions. 12th of 162 in age group so I am doing ok 21 sec from the fastest AG guy
Bike
  • 1h 09m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed slowly and put my head down. Goal was to be 21+ but had no idea what my average MPH was because of how the 405 is set up. Great watch with absolutely no multi sport love! I had it set for .5 mi splits so i could focus on the run. Hard to tell how I am doing with .5 mi lap data on the watch. So I just kept pushing when I saw it below 21 and kept pushing when it was up. passed by a dozen or so but passed a ton. by the third lap it was congested with a lot of illegal passing and drafting going on.

Hard to train when you are traveling. ride the bike more and work the hills!
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Good dismount considering they were 3 wide at the line. worked a quick carry to get around the pack and into the area. Had a bobble getting the bike hung then helmet off socks then shoes on. Picked up race belt, hat and hand towel and worked it on while exiting. had to stop and adjust the rt shoe which cost me 5-10 sec. I think it was another good one 14th of 162 in age group and 29 sec behind the leader. Total transition time 4:13 and 10th of 162 in age group. fastest was 3:28 or only 45 sec faster

think thru the re-rack before doing it. Practice getting the shoes on cleanly
Run
  • 49m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out of T2 grabbed 2 cups of water, one for me one for towel. Tried to keep a good turnover, attitude and pace, in that order. Shooting for 8:15ish for the run. I was also focusing on running the shortest line. If you were behind me you would have thought I was drunk because I took the straight line to a turn and the short line in the turn. I think it saved me time because the garmin never saw a full 6.2. Worst mile was from 4.5 to 5.5 at 8:56 took a gel at around 4.5 mi point. Should have gotten it into me at 2.5 or 3 if I was going to do it. Not sure I drank enough on the run but it is difficult to get it into my mouth, practice??? This is a PR for a 10K, not bad... Good focus for most of the run!

Try to drink more and stay cool. Hard when the temp is climbing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to find Stacey and the kids, got in line for a massage, drank 2 bottles of Pure Sport and 1 of water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still heavier than I want. 2.5# lighter than last year but I want to get down into the mid 160's

Last updated: 2008-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/162
Overall: 140/1036
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Rectangle, clockwise with the long leg on the far side (with current)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:01 | 24.85 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/162
Overall: 198/1036
21:45, 21:59, 22:00 lap splits, not bad
Wind: None
Course: City streets in Austin with a great view of the Capital!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:08 | 06.21 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/162
Overall: 265/1036
1 4.15 2 4.05 3 4 4 3.95 5 4.15 6 3.97 7 4.05 8 4.1 9 4.22 10 4.28 11 4.28 12 3.97
Course: Partly grassy, partly sidewalk partly street. I like the new run course. good change
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-09 9:48 PM

User image

Regular
San Antonio
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2009-09-10 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2398026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Awesome race! You're the second person to mention rock formations in the water - somehow I missed them, thank god. I would have totally freaked!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed