Purdue Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 56s
Overall Rank = 109/157
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Finally! A race in Lafayette. No getting up at 4am to drive somewhere. I slept until about 6am, showered, had some breakfast, packed my gear into the car and headed over to the race site.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike about a mile from the parking area to the race site. After getting marked I found the other tri club members, got my transition set up, and gabbed a bit. With a half-hour to race start, I wiggled into my wetsuit and got in the water for a few warm up strokes.
Swim
  • 32m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my best OWS to date. The water temps were perfect and there were only about 15 of us in the wave so none of that struggle for open water. I swam the entire course without having to revert to breaststroke which is a major improvement over the rest of the year. I had a little trouble with sighting but overall stayed more of less on course. After the race, consensus seemed to be that the swim course was a little long - maybe closer to 1600m. If that's the case, I'm even happier with my swim performance. Either way, it's my best ever pace in an OWS.
What would you do differently?:

It probably wouldn't hurt to go for a swim every once in awhile. Swim workouts have been few and far in between these days.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

It was a long run up a steep hill into transition. I did a good job of getting the wetsuit off and getting helmet, glasses, and shoes on. It was a long run with difficult to navigate hill/ditch to the mount line.

Pretty happy to have made it up the hill without walking and to have made it to the mount line without falling down. I give myself an A+.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 8s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm pretty sure the bike course was a little short. Probably more like 24 miles but I'm still happy with my pace and with my pacing. I did a good job of pushing myself without redlining and ending up with nothing left for the run. It was an open course so traffic was occasionally a concern but the intersections were all policed so for the most part we rode unmolested.

More time in the saddle is always the answer for a better bike split. Time to start pumping up the bike milage
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

I'm sort of impressed with my T2 time. I got out of my bike shoes and into my run shoes. Grabbed my number belt and headed for the run course.
Run
  • 54m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good right at the start of this run. Due to the small number of participants and the fact that the women were in the last swim wave, I ended up spending a lot of this run all by my lonesome. As I approaced the first mile I realized I was going to come in well under my goal of 3 hours. I did some quick math and decided to try for 2:50. Luckily the course was well marked and I was able to use the mile markers to pace myself. Once I got out of the neighborhood and onto the path around the lake I concentrated on not tripping over the rocks or falling in a hole. It actually helped me stay focused on my pacing instead of drifting into la-la land and forgetting that I was in a race. The final 200m or so was an uphill battle to the finish line. It took all my effort but I made it to the finish just under my goal time.
Post race
Event comments:

This was the first time I've ever put together a good all-around race. Solid swim, bike, run. Good transitions. I feel energized by my success and am ready to start training for next season. Imagine if I actually stick to a training plan. I might actually be competitive at one of these things some day!

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 92/157
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Modified out and back type course. Clockwise around the first bouy then back past the shoreline of the start point into a smaller inlet area. Ended with a right hand turn to the finish point.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:08 | 25 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Overall: 120/157
Wind:
Course: Mostly flat on the country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:48 | 06.2 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 106/157
Course: 3ish miles on neighborhood roads followed by a jaunt around the lake on a gravel/grass path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 12:49 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon

2009-09-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2406548

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon

I went to Purdue my freshman year and visited my father who lived in West Lafayette for years.  Until I saw the course map, I was worried you were swimming in the Wabash. I couldn't think of any other open water in the area.

Looks like you had a pretty good race.  That always feels good.  Congratulations!

2009-09-15 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2406548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon
You had a fabulous race! Of course, it's because all of your TriTippe posse was there! Really, great job! It was fun hanging out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Boilerman Triathlon Rss Feed