General Discussion Race Reports! » Sooke International Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sooke International Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
sooke, British Columbia
Canada
LIfesport.ca
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 29s
Overall Rank = 17/97
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, had a bagel w/ Nutella and a bowl of Oatmeal, then drove out to the race site. Had to leave a bit of extra time to get stuff done as this race had 2 seperate transitions, so double the set-up.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water, got in a quick 5 minute warm-up before the swim start. Was feeling pretty good, and pumped to be racing again.
Swim
  • 28m 15s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

My plan was to take the first lap steady and then push a little harder in the second lap, and I executed my plan pretty much to perfection, I got a good start and got out in the front group, and despite the usual lead 3-4 guys getting away I was in a good group of 5-10 people who were swimming well. Hit the second lap, and we started gettign a little spaced out, but I was ale to get a good draft off of one of the elite females who was going basically right at the pace I wanted to be at. Perfect.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder in the last 500 meters, but it wouldn't have gained me much when I was already sitting in a good draft.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

A little slower than usual, we had to pack our wet clothes into a seperate bag as it was seperate transitions, so that took a little extra time.

I just have to work on getting faster in T1, I think I should be able to cut at least a minute here looking at my competition's times.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 45s
  • 86 kms
  • 32.50 km/hr
Comments:

This bike course is a tough one with 2 steep climbs per lap and 4 laps. So my plan was to take the first 2 laps nice and steady, then pick things up a bit over the last 2 laps leaving something in the tank for the run. One of my biggest problems this year has been appropriate pacing on the bike so it was something I was comitted to doing well at this race. I got passed by some people early on, but pulled most of them back by the end of the ride which was pretty uneventful, volunteers were fantastic and the croud support on the 4 lap course was great.

Not much to do differently here, I think I stuck to my plan, so I was really happy with that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Oh man, would have been a super fast T2, but I forgot where my rack for the bike was... Brutal, ran around like a chicken with my head cut-off for about 30 seconds before finding it. Oh well.

Remember where my bike rack is!!!
Run
  • 1h 44m 28s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 57s  min/km
Comments:

I knew the run would be a tough one today regardless of how I pushed the bike, but I went out and just tried to focus on my form and a quick turnover which worked really well through the 1st 13k. I was right in the mix for the top 10 overall and wasn't feeling terrible, but then I fell apart slowly over the next couple k and just had to hold on at the end. Still, I am very happy with my first 2/3 of the run, just have to work on that last 3rd!!!!

Hard to say, lack of training on the run due to ITB stuff over the last 2 months did not help, but I think that just comes down to learning how to be more consistent with my general run traingin throughout the year. ONce I can nail that I think I will be in business!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, chatted with some friends who were racing the other distances, then had a good stretch.

Event comments:

A good race and a good way to end the season. It was an up and down year with some highs and lows, but already looking forward to next season and hopefully some more steady improvements.

Last updated: 2009-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:15 | 1900 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 12/97
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:38:45 | 86 kms | 32.50 km/hr
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 15/97
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:44:28 | 21.1 kms | 04m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 26/97
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Sooke International Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon

2009-09-15 11:51 PM
in reply to: #2408784

User image

Subject: RE: Sooke International Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon

Awesome swim and bike, Mike!! (And in my opinion, a great run too!) Great way to finish the season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sooke International Half-Iron and Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed