General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two beat kick and triathlon shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-27 2:04 PM

Subject: two beat kick and triathlon shorts
Hi there

I need a specific clarification on the pattern for the two-beat kick. As my left arm pulls back through the water, I should be kicking with my right foot? Or with my left foot?

Also, are "tri shorts" worth it - much better than plain biking shorts or just changing to running shorts? Opinions?

Thanks!h

2004-03-27 2:59 PM
in reply to: #14791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: two beat kick and triathlon shorts
Hi Rebecca - here's Terry Laughlin's comment on the two-beat kick from Total Imersion web site:
The kicking explanation in that book sounds pretty complicated. I’ll try to simplify. First, the best kick for anyone swimming a distance of more than 400-meters (and particularly anyone who has to cycle and run after swimming) is what I call a “non-overt” kick, which means not trying to kick or making it a conscious effort. Your kick should integrate seamlessly with your body movement and your legs should never fatigue while swimming. And that requires great balance.

"A 2-beat kick is the most economical; it means two beats per stroke cycle or one leg beat for each arm stroke. The primary purpose of the 2-beat kick is to help initiate body rotation. The right foot drives down to drive the right hip UP – which drives the left hip DOWN. The left hip driving down drives the left hand forward to where it anchors in the water. So the feeling of coordination should be: Your right foot drives and your left hand slices forward at the same time (and vice versa.) BUT, as I said, you should be barely aware of your kick. Instead put your primary focus on slicing your hands down and forward; in the back of your mind, check that your opposite foot drives down at the same time."

Don't have the tri-shorts yet - but plan to get them - most of what I hear is "get the shorts" for the shorter tri's - I'm hearing that the folks doing Ironman distance want the change of clothes for each sport.

2004-03-27 5:03 PM

, Alabama

I really love the tri-shorts.  I did change clothes for the bike and run during my ironman, but about 6 months later did a race ~3/4 of an IM and kept the tri-shorts on the whole time.  No problems, and no hassle trying to put on a pair of bike shorts with wet legs!  Definitely no contest in the sprints.  They're great.

Sharon

2004-03-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #14827

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
hi snikpos, did you swim w/the tri shorts on? i bought a pair quite some time ago, however, concerned that it will absorb alot of water during the swim (the padding).
2004-03-27 11:02 PM

, Alabama

Yes, I swam in them.  During the race there was a wetsuit involved, but I actually have another pair of them for practice.  This morning I did a bike-swim-bike workout and wore them.  They dry quick AND make for interesting tan lines!

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-03-27 11:02 PM
2004-03-28 8:50 AM

I swim with tri suit (bottom part is similar to tri shorts) under wetsuit. Because of the very thin shorts liner and the ultra quick drying material, they dry very fast. The thin liner is enough for me for the sprint distance, have not tried it for longer distance.

2004-03-28 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Tri shorts are a really good investment... i forgot to mention this on your other post. If you train in them minimally, and just stick to using them for races, they should last longer. the shorts are lighter, less material in between your legs, but avoids the chaffing that could be painful.

as for the two beat kick, i hope someone else can help you answer this... good luck again with TNT!
2004-03-28 11:15 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
You have a smaller pad on the tri shorts and it doesn't absorb as much water.  I have never found it to be a problem!
2004-03-29 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Here is how I execute the two-beat kick. OK, I am currently gliding with my right hand forward, and my right hip down. My left foot (top foot) drifts forward, and my right foot (bottom) goes backward. (This means that my left foot/leg goes in the direction of the front of my body...) As I begin to switch, I kick with the legs to get them just past straight while pulling with my arm, then allow them to kinda do a rebound kick. Then, I try to glide as much as possible.

I think I am doing it right, but not really sure.

It's tough to give a written description of all the stuff that happens in a swim stroke without pictures, that's for sure.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two beat kick and triathlon shorts Rss Feed