Missoula's Ronald McDonald House
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 9s
Overall Rank = 29/176
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at around 2am and drove to Hamilton after eating breakfast. After registering and taking some pepto for my stomach issues I took a nap in may car because I didn't start until 11:30.
Event warmup:

I didn't do any warmup other than swimming a little in the pool right before the race. Only about one lap.
Swim
  • 15m 8s
  • 686 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a very good swim for me. I started second in my lane and everything went pretty well. My goggles fogged up a couple times so I stopped to take care of that and it allowed the person behind me to catch me but that turned out to be a very good thing. I was able to draft off of him the whole time. I felt like I swam very good for me and used minimal energy doing it. I enjoyed it for once!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I just need to work on swimming a lot during the off-season to get my speed up to par. This is still my biggest weakness.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

The transition was ok. No wetsuit but after wrecking my feet last week I took extra time to dry my feet and then put on socks. I also took a drink of water.

I would hurry through it a little more. Didn't really try to go fast at all and took my time.
Bike
  • 37m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a hard time on the bike. I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. My legs were not there. I don't know what else to say. I was still catching some people. I was about to catch up to a group of 3 guys at the turn around when I didn't take the turn around sharp enough. My wheel went into the soft dirt and I consequently went into the pavement. My left hip, hand, forearm, and shoulder took a beating. It took me a minute or so to get going again. I never caught that group again and was actually passed by another guy.

Not wreck!!! I just didn't have the biking legs so there is not much else I could have done.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

I gave someone my bike. It was nice to not have to rack it myself. I wasn't in transition too long. I just had to change into my running shoes and take a drink of water.

There was not much to change.
Run
  • 20m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a pretty good run. I felt fairly strong the whole time which was surprising considering the bike. It was getting hot by this time so I would take a sip of water and then pour the rest over my head. There was also a hydrant sprinkler thing that you could run through. I think it made me faster so I could get from the water station to the hydrant and back to the water station so I could cool off. lol. The cold water was the best part of the day.

It was a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

I took a shower and put my stuff in my car and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Completely opposite of last weeks race good swim-bad bike- good run. Last weeks was the opposite. I wish I could put them all together sometime but for only training 4 weeks beforehand I can't really complain. It was a pretty good race. The wreck on the bike didn't help any either. It cost me at least a minute on the ground and the slowed me down after.

Event comments:

This is a very good race with lots of volunteers. You get a great bag of stuff and the proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald House in Missoula.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:08 | 686 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 100/176
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was 15 laps in a 25 yard pool. There were 3 people per lane and they were separated by 15 second intervals to start with.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:32 | 12.43 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 42/176
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: The course was fairly flat. It had a lot of tight corners and small inclines throughout.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:29 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 10/176
Performance: Good
Course: There was a short out and back and then two loops around the school. It was a very flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes