General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-19 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit
**I am NOT a bike fitter and have ZERO training in bike fitting, but I have been fit for a tri and a roadie by a fit guru, and paid attention...  ...still please take this advice/info with a healthy shake of salt!***

I'm 187cm tall, or just under 6'-2". I ride a moderate amount (>800 miles so far this year). I a 19.1 MPH racer on a flat Oly course like Nation's Triathlon in downtown DC, riding on a road bike (No tri bike yet ... gonna build one this winter... but that is another post!) I am a HUGE advocate of professional fitting ... it is the most important $100 upgrade you can get for your bike, in my opinion. And, with a pro fit, the pro will also set your bike up for you.... as usual, anybody can have a plan, but execution is the differentiator!

I was professionally fit recently, and compared the results with the results from the Competitive Cyclist tri-specific fit program on their website just now. Pretty darn close. For instance, I was fit to a 32" distance from crank bolt to seat top on a tri bike, and Competitive Cyclist was 32.3". (My road bike fit was 32.5", but this feels just a little long for me, so I've settled on 32.3" for my roadie seat position, BTW). For tri bike size, I was fit to 560mm ETT with 110mm stem, and Competitive Cyclist calculated 559mm - 579mm, with an 80mm to 100mm stem ie pro fit was 670mm total and Competitive Cyclist ranged around 660mm +/- 20mm.

There were some differences to, because of my own personal body geometry. That plus-minus 20mm above is 40mm total ... almost 2 inches ... pretty big gap (but within the range of most stem length adjustments) Also, I have relatively low hip mobility .... about 120 degrees of hip flexion. I have a stiff sore neck with limited neck mobility, and so neck pain and heads-up visibility is a big concern for me on a tri bike. So for seat to to arm rest drop, my professional tri fit was 8.9 mm (3.5" inches) and Competitive Cyclist was 9.1mm or 3.6" for their "minimal" aero tuck, 14.8mm (for moderate), and 17.3mm (for intense) and 21.4 (maximum). It is interesting to see that I'd was fit right into the Competitive Cyclist minimal position, given the neck mobility problems I have, but if the moderate position would be too steep for comfort for me.

Also, I think the on of the MOST important dimensions on fit comes from the X-Y position of the handlebar-stem center point relative to the center of the crank. My X-Y was 73mm in Y (straight up from the crank bolt to the level height of the stem-handlebar joint) and 48mm in X (straight across form the crank bolt to the stem-handlebar joint). This is more important than ETT and stem length, because of the differences in stems, frames, etc ....

There are a lot of other benefits from a pro fitting ... for instance, good cleat alignment on your shoes. Imagine the problems that a bow-legged rider could have with cleats set up directly straight ... this is somewhat of an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

Taylor B provided the link to the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator in an earlier post on the subject:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO&INTRO_LINK=NOREDIR&SITE.CODE=TRI

Jeez, this was a long post to prep and write. I'm gonna go ride! Whoooooohooooo.

PS-If you need a recommendation on a great fitter in central Maryland, Tom R. and the Bicycle Escape in Frederick is wicked good at this stuff.

2009-09-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2415040

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit
I found competitive cyclist to be a good tool to use in between full blown bike fits, I have been getting full bike fits about every two years as I change shoes, seat, fitness, flexibility,etc.
2009-09-19 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Also, I think the on of the MOST important dimensions on fit comes from the X-Y position of the handlebar-stem center point relative to the center of the crank. My X-Y was 73mm in Y (straight up from the crank bolt to the level height of the stem-handlebar joint) and 48mm in X (straight across form the crank bolt to the stem-handlebar joint).

Generally there is another set of measurements used, "stack and reach", which measures bottom bracket to the top of the headtube.  You can google it.

Competitive cyclist is a good starting point.  As for a "pro" fitting, I guess it's important that there is different degrees of "pro".  Ask around for reviews, and find a personal who comes highly recommended. 
2009-09-19 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2415301

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Competitive Cyclist got my within 1/4" or so in both saddle height and position compared to both my tri fit and road fit.  I even found I liked the feel of the competitive cyclist fit better, so ended up using the numbers they gave me instead of the setup my lbs did.  Again, it was only about 1/4".  I think that was just the difference of how comfortable I was (and warmed up) in the 60 minute fitting and being on the road for 3+ hours.

I also used their numbers for my MTB, and it feels really dialed in as well.
2009-09-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2415362

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Aikidoman - 2009-09-19 4:47 PM Competitive Cyclist got my within 1/4" or so in both saddle height and position compared to both my tri fit and road fit.  I even found I liked the feel of the competitive cyclist fit better, so ended up using the numbers they gave me instead of the setup my lbs did.  Again, it was only about 1/4".  I think that was just the difference of how comfortable I was (and warmed up) in the 60 minute fitting and being on the road for 3+ hours.

I also used their numbers for my MTB, and it feels really dialed in as well.

I bought my P2 from Competitive Cyclist using their fit calculator and it was perfect. Maybe the extra $$$ of a pro fit will save you the fine-tuning adjustments, but CC did an awesome job with their $0 fit.
2009-09-19 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Yeah CC is an impressive enterprise... I am still looking for a business trip through Little Rock so I can check out their store...

2009-09-19 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
this is pretty awsome...
2009-09-19 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2415568

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
jsselle - 2009-09-19 8:17 PM Yeah CC is an impressive enterprise... I am still looking for a business trip through Little Rock so I can check out their store...

I honestly had a better bike buying experience than I've ever had at an LBS. They know their bikes inside and out, and actually talked me down to the P2 because it was a better fit for me than the P3. Just a class act. Too often the LBSs (even the good ones) are just staffed by kids who think it's cool that they're selling a $4K bike and don't really care if it's the right bike for the buyer.
2009-09-19 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Pete - What size is your P2? I'd like to ride a 56 P2 sometime.... I am thinking that I am going to build a Large (56) Kuota K-Factor, but am still riding / deciding.
2009-09-20 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2415301

User image

Master
Central Indiana
mrcurtain - 2009-09-19 3:36 PM
As for a "pro" fitting, I guess it's important that there is different degrees of "pro". 

^^^^^^

Just paying your $$$ does NOT mean proper fit
2009-09-21 1:41 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's quite a few things that a Pro fit should include that an online can't... such as;
-Pre fit interview where the fitter focuses on your previous athletic experiences, current riding style (terrain, type of races, type of training, etc., etc.), future goals, known problems, etc.
-Body measurements (leg length difference between right/left), differences between feet length, differences in the step (usualy have you walk to look at how you plant your feet in relationship to your body center), etc.
-Flexibility, all muscles and differences between right and left side/differences between the muscle and the counter-muscle
-Body movement while riding (ex. knee tracking), both under heavy load, normal load and minimal load

Although a Professional fit done by a good fitter is by far superior, the online fit is at least better than none at all... it will most of time at least put you on a bike that can be made to work.

Edited by audiojan 2009-09-21 1:42 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit Rss Feed