Gainsville, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisport Productions
Total Time = 1h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = 8/538
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/45
Pre-race routine:

Checked in the bike on Friday afternoon and ran a couple of miles on the course. Woke up in the am and had a bagel and propel. Got to the race site about 6am and was glad that I did as I got into the lower lot right near transition. It was great to have the car that close with the rain later in the day.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up, talked with the NAMC folks, put on the wetsuit, took a gel ~20mins before start and went for a quick swim.
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt good and in control. A bit of congestion at the start, but made it in front of most of the pack as a bunch faded in the first stretch. Caught a lot of the first wave at the second turn and had to weave a bit to make it through. Heard the horn for the start of the 2nd wave behind me as I was finishing, so I knew I had had a pretty good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Had a great spot in transition on the 2nd to last rack before the bike exit right on the run aisle. Wetsuit came off okay and put the shoes on relatively quickly. Decided not to put shoes on the bike as there is a longish incline after the mount line and I didn't want to mess with weaving, etc... if I had lost speed.
Bike
  • 34m 41s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was wet as it had begun to rain by the time I started. First time riding in the rain with the race wheels. Carbon wheels and pads have no response and I was a bit worried at the first turn as I normally fly into them. I took the rest of the turns much easier. Really fast section down Clarks Bridge as it is flat to gradual downhill.

I feel like I could have pushed this a bit harder. Felt more limited by lungs than legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Took it slower coming down the last hill because of the braking concerns. Flying dismount and was to the rack very quickly. Put socks and shoes on, then grabbed the visor and belt and was off.

Only thing to do here is if I can train to race without socks for shorter races. Didn't do it here because of major concerns of blisters with the wet weather.
Run
  • 20m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept the run under control for the most part. There is one steep downhill and one steep uphill section on the walking trail that were more difficult to control. Was happy with the time but wish I could have come up with another 30 seconds to get under 20mins.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the NAMC group, walked back to transition to pack up before the major rain hit, then came back for awards.

Event comments:

I really like this race. The only downsides are the bike check in on Friday and 2 no pass zones on the bike. Other than that, another great race put on by GaMultisports. Fast course and supports a good cause.

Last updated: 2009-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 437 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/45
Overall: 8/538
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle swim with two left turns from the mega boat ramp
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:41 | 12.5 miles | 21.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 9/538
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: I didn't have my Garmin, so guessing at 12.5 miles for the course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:27 | 03.1 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/45
Overall: 16/538
Performance: Good
Course: 1.5 loop course. Down the road to head on a walking trail around the rest of the park, back up the road to transition, turn around, then home stretch all the way down the road.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The Tri2 Remember Triathlon

2009-09-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2416051

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Tri2 Remember Triathlon
Great race dude! Wish I could have stuck around to cheer you on the podium but I was very tired of being wet and went back to the car to change clothes. 1st in you AG and 8th overall is impressive.

Can't imagine were you are going to improve from those times but I'm sure you will. I would love to see a video of you climbing those hills on the first 4 miles of the bike course. Everybody I saw struggled with them but you must have been crushing them.

Way to cap off a great season.

bhaynes
2009-09-20 11:10 AM

User image

Gainesville, GA
Great race time especially considering the wet roads slowed down your bike time.
2009-09-21 2:39 PM

congrats man, that's an awesome time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Tri2 Remember Triathlon Rss Feed