United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 3s
Overall Rank = 218/521
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/58
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6, drank some water, ate a Luna bar while taking Bandit for a walk, then left. Drank coffee and a little G2 on the way.
Event warmup:

Slow jog to the race start, stopped at the portajohn, then ran a little more for a total of 1.8 miles. Ate a Hammer gel and drank some water in between the warmup and the race start.
Run
  • 2h 16m 3s
  • 13.34 miles
  • 10m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Splits from Garmin:

1- 10:08
2- 9:56
3- 9:52
4- 10:09
5- 10:01
6- 9:54
7- 10:01
8- 10:19
9- 10:11
10- 10:17
11- 10:48
12- 10:23
13- 10:32
  • 34- 3:22 (9:55/mi pace)

• Started further back than I wanted (they should've spread out the pacers more), but that was probably just as well. Felt really good for the first few miles - no GI issues, beautiful morning, legs were ok. Didn't push - kept reminding myself the purpose was just to finish to complete 15. Around mile 4, my legs started to feel tired and a little sore. Not unexpected, though I was hoping that wouldn't come til much later. Kept running strong but allowed myself to back off the pace a little when needed. By mile 7 (ate a package of Luna Moons) my legs were really starting to hurt. This is when the trail section of the courses began, and there were quite a few good hills that really challenged my tired legs. Also at this point we had been running directly into the blazing sun for a couple miles (and would continue to do so until just before mile 10), so it was becoming a challenge to stay cool and hydrated. Took water and/or Gatorade at each aid station but probably could've had a bit more water. Legs were seriously toast by mile 11, which was no surprise since from that point on I was running further than I ever have (since I did the 1.8 before the race started). Just kept moving in a forward motion. Wanted to kick it in in the last mile but just didn't have it left.
    What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. This was just a way to get my 15-mile training run in today and I did that. It was good mental training - I know in the marathon the most important thing will be the desire to keep moving when everything hurts. If I weren't coming off 3 straight build weeks with this run capping off my highest volume week to date, and if the weather had been cooler (or at least overcast!), probably would've been able to go faster. But "fast" really wasn't the point of this run anyway. The overall average pace is still in line with what I'd like to maintain in the marathon.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stretched some, then walked around some more, which almost immediately helped loosen the legs a little. Ate a banana and some other fruit, drank a bottle of water, then walked the .3/mile back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

Very good race - I'd do it again. TONS of portajohns along the course - though thankfully this week I didn't need one! :-) Great organization and experience for an inaugural event. Nice course, though would've been nicer to do the hilly and hot Sand Creek trail section first and then the flatter loop through the neighborhood.

Last updated: 2009-09-13 12:00 AM
    Running
    02:16:03 | 13.34 miles | 10m 12s  min/mile
    Age Group: 17/58
    Overall: 218/521
    Performance: Average
    Course: Loop around Central Park, then a big loop through the Stapleton neighborhood, then an out-and-back along the Sand Creek trail.
    Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 4
    Physical exertion [1-5] 3
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2009-09-20 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Subject: Zooma Denver Half Marathon

2009-09-20 10:27 PM
    in reply to: #2416319

User image

Denver, CO
    Subject: RE: Zooma Denver Half Marathon
    Nice race!

I thought about signing up for this one in a moment of insanity earlier this week (I did the Harvest Moon long course last weekend), but luckily reality kicked in just in time cuz I think it would have been ugly if I had tried.

How was the finisher's necklace?
    2009-09-21 8:23 AM
    in reply to: #2416867

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Columbia, South Carolina

trimama530 - 2009-09-20 9:27 PM Nice race!

I thought about signing up for this one in a moment of insanity earlier this week (I did the Harvest Moon long course last weekend), but luckily reality kicked in just in time cuz I think it would have been ugly if I had tried.

How was the finisher's necklace?

Haha well I also had just signed up for this 1 week in advance after running another half marathon on 9/13.  Luckily I was only really using it as a supported training run, b/c it was also a bit ugly for me as well (my PR is 2:03).

The necklace is pretty cute!  Small square silver pendant with a girl running in front of a mountain shape on the front and "Denver 13.1 9.20.09" on the back.

2009-09-21 9:37 AM
    in reply to: #2416319

User image

Veteran
    Chicago
    That's great that you were mentally in it.

And the necklace you sent me a pic was of cute!

Great job stud.
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Zooma Denver Half Marathon Rss Feed